WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Knee support?

Default Knee support?

Does anyone have experience with a knee brace or support that might help?

I had my knee scoped 20 years ago after a miniscus tear and now frequently have pain on the downhill sections.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have used the Chopat knee strap for years with satisfactory results.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Does anyone have experience with a knee brace or support that might help?

I had my knee scoped 20 years ago after a miniscus tear and now frequently have pain on the downhill sections.

I had a medial meniscus tear repair on one knee and hiked without pain but favoring that knee caused knee pain in the other. Again medial tear in the early stages, Orthopedic surgeon fitted me with a lightweight brace to use while hiking and so far no surgery needed although my pack weight is 20 lbs w/food & water max. Hiking poles & lighter pack to start with. My advice is to see a doctor specializing in knee,ankle etc and don't let the old man in. Good Luck.

Countrybois... "we are reading form the same sheet of music." I had a meniscus tear repaired when I was in my 40's. The surgery helped and the discomfort was tolerable. I retired at the age of 60 and got into hiking. For a short time all was well but then the down hill slogs became painful. Cortisone injections helped for the short term but the relief didn't last long. I tried every knee brace I could find. I finally discovered the same brace Seatbelt recommended...the Chopat. It made a world of difference for me. It pretty well stabilizes things so that the discomfort is tolerable and is adjustable to some degree. I wear it over a thin Zensah knee brace and the combination really reduces any irritation caused by tightening the Chopat "straps".

FWIW - I have had similar knee issues and tried about everything on the market to help support the knees especially with downhills. I finally found a knee support that works without fail for me from tommycopper.com. They are more compression sleeves than a brace, but they work very well for the conditions described. As soon as I pulled them on I could feel the difference from other commercial devices. They are flexible, washable, and if you put a little water on the silicone strips at the top of the band, will stay in place for hours. I can spend all day in them comfortably.

I don't pay much attention to the healing claims of copper infused material, but having tried literally a dozen or more knee support devices over the past few decades, I can honestly say these are the best I have used. I have not seen these sold in stores, so one has to look for them on-line.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

You see all kinds of knee supports on the AT. I've used the Body Helix sleeves (I have three), but my problems modest. If your knees are really trashed you will need heavy duty hardware. I found that the best thing you can do for knee pain is reduce body weight...

++ New Posts ++