WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pre trip lodging/camping suggestions

Good morning,

I am hiking my first ever section hike on the AT this coming weekend from Winding Stair Gap to Nantahala Outdoor Center. I have my time off from work, all my gear accounted for, a shuttle arranged from NOC to Winding Stair Gap, but I do not have a place secured to stay the night before my hike. I will be leaving work Thursday afternoon and heading straight to North Carolina and will not be getting into the Bryson City area until approximately 11:00 p.m. I've contemplated sleeping in my car, but would rather find a tent site if at all a possibility. If anyone could make a suggestion as to where I could stay, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Drive a couple more miles on US64 and stay at one of the motels in Franklin. US 64 at Winding Stairs gap is a fairly major road. There is a tent site about a mile north of the gap, after a stiff climb out of the gap. Finding it in the dark might be a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

If you decide to go to Franklin there's a hostel run by Colin Gooder (aka Zen) called Gooder Grove. He has a place for tenting on part of his property. More interesting than a hotel. Info in the hostel list linked from the "home" page here; and in Guthook.

If you are headed to NOC Thursday night, why not stay there? Unless you are really getting a shuttle at 11pm.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    If you are headed to NOC Thursday night, why not stay there? Unless you are really getting a shuttle at 11pm.
    I would guess the shuttle will be from NOC back to the car at Winding Stairs after the hike, but he doesn't actually say where he's headed that night.

If he is heading directly to Winding Stairs, the Standing Indian campground is near-by. Wonder if they are open? That would be the best option for tenting. Personally, after a long drive I would want to spend a night in a real bed and have a good breakfast in the morning before hitting the trail. That can be had at either Franklin or at the NOC.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    but he doesn't actually say where he's headed that night.
    I did say the Bryson City area, and that I would be shuttling from NOC to Winding Stair Gap the next morning...

Anyways, thanks for all the responses, I have secured a camp spot at a decent price about 30 minutes from NOC and all is well!! I'm looking forward to my first hike on the AT and I hope there are many more to come!

++ New Posts ++