WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I visited Meca recently...

When going on car trips I always look for unique places to pull off and take a break and eat. I was traveling right past Harpers Ferry and had to stop. I am not a thru hiker and have never been to HF. It was a great town. I wish I could have stayed longer and explored the history. Also stopped at Harpers Ferry Outfitter. I have been looking to buy a Light Heart Gear rain coat for awhile and heard some outfitters along the AT carry them.No luck at this particular store.

It was very eerie being at the ATC without any evidence of hikers, it was very sad. I love the thru hiking community and was hoping to get a glimpse of it first hand.
    canvas.jpg

I was in downtown HF last Saturday, I took a lady friend (ie,first date) up to MD Heights. I knew it was going to be crowded but my goodness twice as many people as usual. Had to pay $20 for parking because she didn't want to walk from the free KOA parking across the street. My first walk across the newly rebuilt bridge. I didn't go in the outfitter but I ended up sitting for a moment across from the ATC and it was closed on a Saturday. And I remember thinking the same thing how sad , it's usually open with people flowing in and out. It's a pretty cool little town with lots of history. There was a series on the history Channel called the men who built America, they filmed some of them downtown shots with horse and wagon and old shops from downtown HF.. the time to go if you can is during the week, I'm not a fan of all them people or that first date .

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I was in downtown HF last Saturday, I took a lady friend (ie,first date) up to MD Heights. I knew it was going to be crowded but my goodness twice as many people as usual. Had to pay $20 for parking because she didn't want to walk from the free KOA parking across the street. My first walk across the newly rebuilt bridge. I didn't go in the outfitter but I ended up sitting for a moment across from the ATC and it was closed on a Saturday. And I remember thinking the same thing how sad , it's usually open with people flowing in and out. It's a pretty cool little town with lots of history. There was a series on the history Channel called the men who built America, they filmed some of them downtown shots with horse and wagon and old shops from downtown HF.. the time to go if you can is during the week, I'm not a fan of all them people or that first date .
    You may want to think about that before going on a second date
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    You may want to think about that before going on a second date
    Or perhaps he should be looking for another prospect for another first date.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Or perhaps he should be looking for another prospect for another first date.
    exactly
    LOL

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Yeah that was not a good sign for sure pennypincher. But at that point it's kind of like being on a roller coaster and that bar slams shut and your stuck ,you might as well hold on tight and enjoy the ride. We did make it to the top after 20 breaks and old ladies and little babies passing us. And old ladies carrying babies passing us.. good thing it was only 1.5 miles anymore I'd been calling a ems.. Anyway I'm good " so light to be free""!! But the topic is it was sad and kinda eerie to see the ATC door shut and all the lights off.

Images

i love the irony of someone named "pennypincher" is saying to buck up and pay the 20 bucks, instead of using the free
    parking across the street......

(had a buddy in HF last saturday as well, who also paid the 20 to park...........but he was with his brother)

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

what's "meca"?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i love the irony of someone named "pennypincher" is saying to buck up and pay the 20 bucks, instead of using the free
    Pretty sure pennypincher was all for the free parking option and questioning pursuing a relationship with someone who demanded the closer/paid option.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Pretty sure pennypincher was all for the free parking option and questioning pursuing a relationship with someone who demanded the closer/paid option.
    Yeah that's the way I took it. And will be heeding Astros and PennyPinchers advice.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    what's "meca"?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MECA

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    Now I'm confused . Poster used a small a in meca. So a moth or place in Portugal?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

(had a buddy in HF last saturday as well, who also paid the 20 to park...........but he was with his brother)
    I think my message was misinterpreted. I would have parked in the free spot and I think someone who likes to hike would be having second thoughts about dating someone who isn't willing to park across the street and save the $20.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Now I'm confused . Poster used a small a in meca. So a moth or place in Portugal?
    Pretty sure they meant Mecca, which is the spiritual center of the Muslim world, as Harpers Ferry ATC office is the administrative center of the AT hiker world.

I have never been to Mecca or Harpers Ferry,but I did purchase a Light Hart Gear rain jacket online.Lots of nice zips and much more durable than my Frogg Toggs jacket.It does vent with the zips but definitely not breathable and I was not expecting it to be.
    (Glad I didn't have to pay that $20 parking fee,might be a DEALBREAKER)

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Pretty sure they meant Mecca, which is the spiritual center of the Muslim world, as Harpers Ferry ATC office is the administrative center of the AT hiker world.
    Thats right Duh.... thank you I knew I heard that word before phrased that way. Add a c and you see what you get , a whole new word.

Images

I think my message was misinterpreted. I would have parked in the free spot and I think someone who likes to hike would be having second thoughts about dating someone who isn't willing to park across the street and save the $20.

ahhhhhh.......

i read it as-----for the second date OP should pay the 20 so that the relationship could advance further.......

anyways, carry on......

++ New Posts ++