WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    We heard a loud scream while camped on the Forney Creek Trail in the Smokies several years ago. Sounded like a large animal. It was dark, and we weren't going to exit the tent to look around, but I've always wondered what that was. Bobcat makes sense.
    I was camping in WNC a few years back and heard a high-pitched scream. It sounded like someone getting murdered. Thought a ranger later told me it was probably an owl. Now I wonder, how many animals tend to make a blood-curdling cry during the night?

JNI64, no Metallica for me, but I bring earplugs. Yellowstone... geysers, thermal springs, waterfalls, we’ve got it. Also cougars, bobcats, elk, grizzlies, black bears, and bison. I’ve only heard about the Dolly Sods, though. Long ago, when I lived in Kentucky, a neighbor did a photo trip there. His descriptions were magical. I’ve always remembered that.

I was gonna mention both foxes and owls. Both can sound off with undivided attention getting "screams". May have been a bobcat, but may have been a fox, or an owl.
    When I hiked the Foothills Trail, I stayed up on Sassafras Mountain and had a fox start sounding off (blood chilling "screaming") in the middle of the night, from what sounded like maybe 50 ft behind my hammock. Thankfully I knew what it was, so I just smiled, and went back to sleep.

willin'

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    JNI64, no Metallica for me, but I bring earplugs. Yellowstone... geysers, thermal springs, waterfalls, we’ve got it. Also cougars, bobcats, elk, grizzlies, black bears, and bison. I’ve only heard about the Dolly Sods, though. Long ago, when I lived in Kentucky, a neighbor did a photo trip there. His descriptions were magical. I’ve always remembered that.
    Ha,ha earplugs. All that sounds awesome! Maybe a new 2021 adventure ! The Dollysods truly are a special place.... pm me or I'll pm you at some point.

I had the pleasure of visiting Dolly Sods last winter with a friend. A fresh snow had just fallen....talk about magical. I can't wait to get back this winter. I hear Seneca Rocks is another gem.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I had the pleasure of visiting Dolly Sods last winter with a friend. A fresh snow had just fallen....talk about magical. I can't wait to get back this winter. I hear Seneca Rocks is another gem.
    I haven't been to Seneca rocks yet I hear the views from the top are awesome. But I don't think there's alot of hiking in the area , I think it's more of a climbers paradise.

You also have the cranberry wilderness with over 47,000 acres just south of the Dollysods it's also in the Monongahela National forest as is the Dollysods .

I might head to the sods Thanksgiving week.

Likely a red fox. Especially this time of year, beginning of spring. Sounds like a woman screaming. Very common.

Dolly Sods is easily one of the most spectacular and wonderful places on the east coast for backpacking. It's our go-to place for our spring hikes to avoid the crowds on the AT.
    It's also a little squatchy

More likely a red fox, not a bobcat. If at night you hear what sounds like the blood curdling screams of a woman being murdered it is a red fox. Very unsettling.
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

Journal Entries
    Images

Love the night sounds!!!
    A mountain lions could make you a little unsettled!!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KgP96GiiXu8
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Hiya JN64! was looking at alltrails and hikingproject but couldn't find that 30 mile loop! is it some kind of off-loop? Thinking of hiking that some time soon and looking at longest trail loops.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    Hiya JN64! was looking at alltrails and hikingproject but couldn't find that 30 mile loop! is it some kind of off-loop? Thinking of hiking that some time soon and looking at longest trail loops.

Thanks
    Hiya back, I'm not really sure of the mileage to be honest. We pieced together the outside trails such as TR522, bear rocks trail, TR521 Raven Ridge trail etc....
    There's a circuit of trails and if you're not making good time you can always cut your mileage by taken one of the other trails.
    But you better do it soon I think they close the gates sometime in October.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Hiya back, I'm not really sure of the mileage to be honest. We pieced together the outside trails such as TR522, bear rocks trail, TR521 Raven Ridge trail etc....
    There's a circuit of trails and if you're not making good time you can always cut your mileage by taken one of the other trails.
    But you better do it soon I think they close the gates sometime in October.
    Thank You much!

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    Thank You much!
    Your welcome and this Friday night is the harvest-super moon weather permitting it would be a great time to visit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++