WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2011 Stratospire 2 > 2018 Duplex > 2020 Stratospire 2

After 600 miles in the Zpacks duplex I have officially sold it, and have purchased a new 2020 Tarptent Stratospire 2. Why?

1- One of the main reasons I got the duplex was for the upcoming terrain of New Hampshire and southern Maine. Now that that is behind me, I am more lenient on my pack weight. As in I am ok with the extra 1.5 lbs for the comfort and protection I get from the strato 2.

My pack weight including 4 days resupply and 2 liters of water for my 1 week hike last month in the whites was 16 lbs, so now that easier hikes are in my future, i can handle the extra weight lol

2- Almost every night of using the duplex i would tell myself "I miss my tarptent". and when the opportunity presented itself here on WB, I took the opportunity to listen to what my experience was telling me.

3- Out of over 2000 miles of hiking, the strato 2 NEVER let me down, and NEVER exposed me to waking up wet. The duplex out of 600 miles let me down 1 night. On top of smarts mountain in New Hampshire.

This go around I opted for the manufacture seam seal option. Any experiences with this??
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Glad to hear that you have returned to the SS Clan!
    On the other hand, I am quite pleased with the SS 1 and part solid inner tent body. I am even more pleased with the SS 1 rainfly alone. Conditions permitting.
    I sealed the seams myself. To date, I have only encountered a 6 hour deluge at Turquoise Lake near Leadville, CO. Zero leaks or seepage. My only complaint that night: The drumming on the rainfly nearly drove me crazy. My earplugs were in the car about 50 yards away.
    Regarding the SS 1 and SilNylon Sag: In my experience the Sag is a myth.
    All hail the TarpTent Stratospire 1 & 2!
    Wayne

Images

The design of the SS is really interesting. I like the concept of the offset treking poles to maximize the entry door opening. High/low vents would appear to be good for ventilation. And the hexagon shape looks as if it would shed wind well.

I almost pulled the trigger this spring on replacing my MSR Hubba but delayed my planned long section hike.

The Stratospire Li appears to be ideal but the PRICE!

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    The design of the SS is really interesting. I like the concept of the offset treking poles to maximize the entry door opening. High/low vents would appear to be good for ventilation. And the hexagon shape looks as if it would shed wind well.

I almost pulled the trigger this spring on replacing my MSR Hubba but delayed my planned long section hike.

The Stratospire Li appears to be ideal but the PRICE!
    When tarptent comes out with a dyneema thickness comparable to the zpacks spruce green I will be buying it. But in the mean time I wont pay $700 for a see through tent

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Glad to hear that you have returned to the SS Clan!
    On the other hand, I am quite pleased with the SS 1 and part solid inner tent body. I am even more pleased with the SS 1 rainfly alone. Conditions permitting.
    I sealed the seams myself. To date, I have only encountered a 6 hour deluge at Turquoise Lake near Leadville, CO. Zero leaks or seepage. My only complaint that night: The drumming on the rainfly nearly drove me crazy. My earplugs were in the car about 50 yards away.
    Regarding the SS 1 and SilNylon Sag: In my experience the Sag is a myth.
    All hail the TarpTent Stratospire 1 & 2!
    Wayne
    Wayne Ill be testing your "fly only" on a 26 mile endeavor this weekend up in Kentucky, no rain forecasted so the learning curve should be mild

Have fun! Good luck and fair skies!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Have fun! Good luck and fair skies!
    Wayne
    Wayne I am hooked on the fly only sir.....I think I am going to take my old mesh inner and cut everything but the bathtub floor out of it..
    IMG_2296.JPG

i had my protrail seam sealed by TT. they did a good job, they even painted stripes on the floor to help the pad from sliding.

++ New Posts ++