WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Via Dinarica "White" Trail video

I didn't realize that youtube took down my video of this thru-hike, "Wall" and I did along the Adriatic Sea in Eastern Europe (Balkans) so, I changed some of the music and it seems to be OK with them now. Enjoy! https://youtu.be/RYRG8wDMRcE
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Well now that's certainly alot different trails than we're used to seeing on here! Thanks so much for sharing fh. I liked them old houses built into the mountains and rock. And them little mushroom looking houses. All them chainsaws in that block of wood pretty cool to. That big dry section you'll went through you'll were expecting that or water sources were just dried up ? And is that a hyperlite pack your buddy's carrying? Awesome job with editing the videos to the music.

Thanks JNI64.
    The 1st two countries, Slovenia and Croatia's mountains are mostly karst rock. So, rainwater disappears. No springs, no small streams, water is only available at large rivers (very few) or from cisterns. There are cisterns in all the abandoned towns (abandoned because of the recent war in the 90's) but is often locked. So you hunt around town for one that isn't that has water inside. It's a different challenge thrown at you. But once you get to Bosnia, everything is fine. There are supposedly still some unexploded mines but the trail has been cleared of them and sometimes you'll see a sign saying: Possible mines behind this sign, stay on trail. Of course we heeded those. It might be one of the reasons this trail is so empty of hikers.
    Because otherwise it is awesome with awesome locals that are still there. Lots of signs from the recent war, that's why I included many pictures of it in the "Doors" song in the middle of the video.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I had to change 2 songs so the pictures don't always fit the music like it was supposed to.
    Not sure what kind of pack Ray carried. I remember it was cuban fibre and he bought it from a company in Maine. We both are fairly lightweight hikers. (under 12 lbs without food or water) Ray eats no-cook. But that wasn't a good idea in this case because the tiny stores we sometimes found had very limited food. I remember once he had to buy 36 small cans of pate and they only had one flavor. After about 4 or 5 days of that, he asked me: "So how much does that stove and cookit weigh?

I always look forward to your post/trip reports/ videos. I'm your no 1 fan on here. ( not in a stephan king misery kind of way lol ). Because of location of hikes and just the way you put them together music , some of my two favorite things in life. The reason I asked about the pack is I'm looking at purchasing the Hyperlite 3400 in black. Tell your buddy Ray to look at zelphs stoves on here alcohol stoves super light. Anyway have fun and stay safe out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    ... I'm your no 1 fan on here...
    Count me in as #2 (probably #1, in historical order).
    BTW, while drinking alcohol is wide spread, stove alcohol is hard to get in those Balkan countries.

Yes, it was Leo. I was going to use it as a backup to a wood stove when I started but no way.
    It was over $40 for a bottle of alcohol and very hard to find. (hospital if they would sell to you)
    So, my niece had a GAZ stove and after her 1 week sting (as planned) with us, I used that because the gas was cheap and plenty available.
    Thanks for the praise guys. I'm missing hiking right now as it's been since Feb (3 weeks in NZ)

You're living life large at 70.

It's trips like your Pyrenees and Via Dinarica, the couple tramping far and wide in western Europe of Walking Nature World, tales of hiking in Japan and Tipi's winter trips that I like the most. Mahalo.

++ New Posts ++