WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How are the water sources along Maryland AT right now

I plan to hike the Maryland AT in early October.

Has anyone hiked there in recent weeks?
    Were the streams flowing well and are they frequent?
    Are there any handy spigots that still operate in October?

Thank you!

Images

while i have not been on the AT in maryland in a while, the general today got a bunch of rain...

i don't see you having any trouble getting water.....

You should be able to use a spigot at the Dahlgren camp grounds and right below the Washington monument has a yard hydrant. And maybe the Gatlin state park.And it looks like all the shelters are open except the Ed Garvey shelter.
    Last edited by JNI64; 09-29-2020 at 23:17.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    You should be able to use a spigot at the Dahlgren camp grounds and right below the Washington monument has a yard hydrant. And maybe the Gatlin state park.And it looks like all the shelters are open except the Ed Garvey shelter.
    JNI64 is correct. I backpacked through that area 9-13 Sept and those two water sources were game changers. At that time, water from streams was very scarce from PenMar to Ed Garvey. WE were able to filter water it just took some time and effort. Recent rain surely helped but don't count on it.

Images

spigots at gatlin state park , washington monument and dahlgren campground were all still on 1st week of november 2014 when i went thru and also dahlgren free showers were still open a ranger said they will be shut down soon when i was there.....washington monument bathrooms were open - good place to warm up if cold ( good heat )
    Last edited by Mike Steger; 09-30-2020 at 08:49.
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

AND..... as a added bonus right on trail as you walk through the Gatlin sp, there's a soda machine and snack machine. It's been awhile since I've been through there but that used to be the case. And if you have " champagne and caviar taste " there's the south mountain inn right on trail.which happens to be situated right at the Dahlgren camp grounds where you can get a hot shower order your food literally walk up the hill in your camp shoes get your food and walk back to camp Boy them folks in MD know how to treat a hiker. ( hint,hint, water up before you get to the Ed Garvey).
    Last edited by JNI64; 09-30-2020 at 11:35.

Images

The spigots at Dahlgren, Gathland and Washington Monument are frost-free. Pen Mar spigots are seasonal. The Ed Garvey spring is not to be missed!
    Big Hike: the first iOS app for the AT and BMT

This is teriffic info. Thanks to each of you!

Just following up post-hike. All of the spigots mentioned were working. The replies in this thread were helpful and appreciated!

Looking to do this section SB in the next couple of days. Water looks easy enough but anything I should be aware of or concerned about? And yes, I will pony up before Ed Garvey if that's where I land for a night! Thanks!
    "...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

Don't get discouraged by the rocks in the first 10 miles southbound. The rest of the trail isn't as rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Man Chef View Post
    Looking to do this section SB in the next couple of days. Water looks easy enough but anything I should be aware of or concerned about? And yes, I will pony up before Ed Garvey if that's where I land for a night! Thanks!
    I grew up in Wilmington and can assure you that a side trip to the South Mountain Creamery is a worthwhile diversion. Especially the Snallygaster flavor. About 1.5 miles off trail. Okay to walk down, but best to hitch back up.

++ New Posts ++