WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Keen Voyager or Oboz Sawtooth

I have 400 miles left of the AT. Restarting July 2023. My Merrells give me blisters, and do slip on rocks. Thinking about, Ultras, because of bigger toe box. I have tried Darn tuff, toe socks, nylon socks. But it seems Ultra are nothing more than a sneaker, w/ no support, and cushion. [email protected] please respond on what to do... thanks, retired firefighter, Tim Andrew hiking for make a wish.

Images

***edited***
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman Tim Andrew View Post
    I have 400 miles left of the AT. Restarting July 2023. My Merrells give me blisters, and do slip on rocks. Thinking about, Ultras, because of bigger toe box. I have tried Darn tuff, toe socks, nylon socks. But it seems Ultra are nothing more than a sneaker, w/ no support, and cushion. [email protected] please respond on what to do... thanks, retired firefighter, Tim Andrew hiking for make a wish.
    Started to reply on your other thread and realized I'm not qualified since I don't get toe blisters. Got heel blisters until I figured out how to buy for my feet - need a decent amount of heel slip, but with good firmness and support around the midfoot. Room for feet to slide a bit forward on downhills a must, too.

My experience doesn't match yours with Vibram, but I do have a pair of Adidas Terrex with the Continential rubber sole which seems much more sticky to me. And the Terrex is kinda in the same ballpark as the Salomon XA Pro 3D which is a great trail shoe, technically a trail runner, but would be stout enough to get the full 400 miles out of it. I've gone to an even lighter trail runner, the Merrell Nova. I think it would not last 400 of those miles, and I have my doubts about the Altra. Besides, the Altras have that annoying Birkenstock shape.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Merrel Moabs work great out west as the rocks are normally rougher so they get plenty of traction. On some of the rocks on the AT that are smooth, as many noticed, they don't grip so great. The reasons they are long lasting, their hard sole, works against you when you need extra traction, so a softer sole shoe is needed, which won't last nearly as long. In addition to the Moabs, I use the Brooks Cascadia trail runners which do grip better. But shoes that work for someone, don't always work for someone else, so you need to try different shoes until you find one you like. And then if the manufacturer cancels that model, buy several pairs to keep, so you can put off looking for another shoe that works.

If you are getting blisters I don't think it's the sole causing it, but rather the shoe design or your socks. Some shoes, just cause some people to get blisters. I don't normally get heel blisters, but one pair of shoes I tried gave them to me in less than 2 miles of walking. Unless it's cold weather, I don't like using heavy or padded socks, as they make your feet sweat more due to the trapped heat. In hot weather, I prefer thin socks. I normally hike with the thin Wrightsocks coolmax double-layer socks. I typically only get blisters with them if I'm hiking in really hot weather on sandy trail, totally exposed to the sun, so the heat radiating from the ground is easily triple digits within a few inches of the ground. The kind of conditions that bake your feet, so they are soaking wet when I stop an hour later to change socks. This sort of conditions can be found in the southern deserts of the PCT/CDT on a hot day. Hiking on a really rainy day can also cause my feet issues. If my feet stay mostly dry, I don't get blisters, as my normal daily walking and occasional weekend day hikes keep enough calluses on my feet for backpacking.

I wore Moab's for years until I switched to La Sportiva Wildcats and I will never go back. The Wildcats are absolutely amazing on slick rock and wet terrain. My last long walk was in 2021 in February from Springer to Hot Springs and they performed amazingly well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++