Candel

Default Disappointment In ATC 2000-Miler Covid Rules

In 2014, as a Vietnam War Veteran, I vowed I would hike the entire 2,193-mile Appalachian Trail in honor of the 461 Marines from my unit. I knew it would not be easy at my age. On 09/15/2020, I reached the top of Mt. Katahdin. I unfolded a sign that was donated to me by a company in NC that heard my story honoring the 461, and all 30 other hikers that were also celebrating became quiet out of respect to the 461. I attempted to apply for the 2000-miler certificate but told by the ATC that this year, due to Covid, no one will be recognized. After section hiking for 7 years, this is very disappointing. 2020 will be the year that AT thru-hikers will be forgotten.

Semper Fi brother.

Ditto. And you did your Marines proud, regardless of the ATC.

Sounds like from the date you would have been legally hiking in Maine, and not thru hiking either.

Journal Entries
    Images

Better to have earned 2000 miler distinction without an ATC certificate, than have their certificate without having earned it.

Congrats.

Thank you for your service sir. Much respect and appreciation for your accomplishment and the honor for which motivated you. I bet that was quite a overwhelming feeling at the end. Can you post a picture of you on top of Mt Katahdin?

AT 10,000 Miler
    Images

I attempted to apply for the 2000-miler certificate but told by the ATC that this year, due to Covid, no one will be recognized.
    I'm sorry to hear that section hikers who completed the trail in 2020 are not being recognized. What exactly did they say/write to you?

Images

did you hike just to get the certificate or did you hike for yourself?

Journal Entries

Pretty much anybody with a computer and a little bit of cut-n-paste craft could make a 2000-mile certificate. My husband and I will finish the trail in early November, after ten years. ATC has chosen to step outside what many regard as their mission, and take a semi-political stance. Whatever. I'll make us a certificate. A quick image search on google shows me what it should look like. If you don't have anyone who can help you make one, I'll be happy to share my document when I have it ready.

We're not running threads debating Covid closures, which is part of ATC's reasoning on the pause in the certificate program.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++