WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Brand new please help, primitive camping spots

Hello,
    I am planing a three day and two night hike on the new jersey portion of the AT. I have a national geographic map or the AT from Delaware water gap to schaghticoke mountain I am using. The issue I see is that it only list a couple primitive camping spots. Is there more than what is listed? are the hard to find? are they hard to come by? or will my map be a good indication of whats available. which isn't much.
    We want to be dropped off somewhere than hike all day to our camp spot, be near a water source and than the next day maybe hike to something scenic like a fall or something than find another place to camp. I honestly dont see any primitive camping spots that are less than like 20 or 30 miles and there are very few listed. So what should I expect?
    Thank you for any information you can provide. I have never been out there. We are going to start with something like this and work our way up. In about six years when I retire Id like to plan a through hike. Thank you!

New Jersey is a designated camping site only area (no campfires either). In many cases you are nearly walking through some ones backyard. Please follow the rules, camping anywhere else is both illegal, immoral and bad Karma - you get the idea, don't be a selfish idiot.

There are no falls on the NJ AT and water is limited and far apart. Designated camping sites are located where there is (generally) reliable water.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Default Brand new please help, primitive camping spots

New Jersey is a beautiful state. Hope you have a great hike.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Journal Entries

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, jshev!

It's been several years now since we did the NJ section of the AT. Even though I don't remember all the details, I can assure you that there are places to camp that aren't 20-30 miles apart.

Here's a handy website that you can use in your preliminary planning. Select a location from the left list, another on the right, press submit, and you'll have the trail distance between those two points. So, for example, between DWG and the Lehigh River Bridge is 36.1 miles. You'll find two backcountry shelters at 6.4 and 20.1 miles from DWG. So the distance between them is 13.7 miles.
    www.atdist.com

Let us know if you have other questions, and we'll try to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze, jshev!

It's been several years now since we did the NJ section of the AT. Even though I don't remember all the details, I can assure you that there are places to camp that aren't 20-30 miles apart.

Here's a handy website that you can use in your preliminary planning. Select a location from the left list, another on the right, press submit, and you'll have the trail distance between those two points. So, for example, between DWG and the Lehigh River Bridge is 36.1 miles. You'll find two backcountry shelters at 6.4 and 20.1 miles from DWG. So the distance between them is 13.7 miles.
    www.atdist.com

Let us know if you have other questions, and we'll try to help out.
    Thank you! I will definitely check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    New Jersey is a designated camping site only area (no campfires either). In many cases you are nearly walking through some ones backyard. Please follow the rules, camping anywhere else is both illegal, immoral and bad Karma - you get the idea, don't be a selfish idiot.

There are no falls on the NJ AT and water is limited and far apart. Designated camping sites are located where there is (generally) reliable water.
    Yes I know that, that was not my question. Lucky for me there are lot of other helpful replies. Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by jshev View Post
    Yes I know that, that was not my question. Lucky for me there are lot of other helpful replies. Thanks anyway
    jshev, not quite sure what you meant with that response (perhaps just result of the challenges of virtual correspondance), but please note that Slo-go'en is one of the most helpful people on this website
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Journal Entries

Another helpful site for newbies is the ATC's site, www.appalachiantrail.org
    People who are unfamiliar with the AT/backpacking/etc can learn a lot just by reading everything on the site.
    Their interactive map is a great way to virtually explore.

Sorry, the National Geographic map only shows designated spots since that's where your suppose to camp. It should show six of them. You can tent near the shelter site at all of them. Some of them are a bit far apart, because there is no other place to put them due to development and the trail is a narrow right of way, or lack of water sources. Fortunately, the trail is pretty easy between these places so it isn't hard to get between them. Although, this time of year with days getting shorter, that might become a problem.

Here's the official info:
    https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand...nformation.pdf
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 09-24-2020 at 17:41.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    jshev, not quite sure what you meant with that response (perhaps just result of the challenges of virtual correspondance), but please note that Slo-go'en is one of the most helpful people on this website
    True that!

++ New Posts ++