WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SMD Skyscape Trekker

I bought a new Skyscape Trekker back in December and never set it up until yesterday in my backyard. I had Six Moons Designs do the seam sealing. Well last night the tent got a torrential rain and it leaked at the top where the strut bar is. I contacted SMD and even though I just set it up once it is outside the warranty and they won't take it for return. They are sending me a kit to re seal it. I really like the tent but don't want to have to deal with the seam seal issue. If anyone wants to deal with seam sealing it I will ship it to you for $200. It's $250 new plus another $30 for them to seam seal it. The tent is brand new and I will give you an unused polycro groundsheet that goes with it plus the stakes which are still in the package unused. Moral of the story, always test your equipment while still in the warranty period.
    Thanks

Hope you get a taker - best wishes - but it seems like you're blurring the lines between return period and warranty period. What was the warranty at the time you bought it? Currently their website does not show a specifically limited period [though it's curious to me what kind of "defects in materials" would be covered since they exclude "rips and tears".]

Our products are fully warranted to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship. If our product fails due to a manufacturing defect, we will repair the product, without charge, or replace it, at our discretion.

What's Not Covered

This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, improper care, negligence, normal wear and tear, or the natural breakdown of colors and materials over extended time and use. Damage such as from rips and tears in the materials are not covered under the warranty and are considered normal wear and tear.
    I do note that their return policy is 30 days, but since you mentioned warranty period (twice) I was just trying to get clarification. Sounds like you were hoping to return it for credit rather than get a warranty repair. Thanks

That is a very good point. They should repair or replace under the "warranty". Anyway I did not think that through clearly and they are sending me a seam seal kit.

$175 and I will send the seam seal kit.

I re seam sealed the tent and it went through the night in a heavy rain and no leaks.

++ New Posts ++