WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Connecticut and Mass in late October....

Just a gentle question for the locals in western MA/CT.... is late October a reasonable time of year to hike the AT through those parts? I realize it would probably be pretty chilly at times, which I'm fine with.

Any thoughts appreciated.

(New Mexico just placed a 14-day self quarantine in place, thwarting my plans for a couple/few weeks on the NM CDT, alas, so I'm searching for a relaxing 2.5 weeks of hiking somewhere...)

I did those states from October 1st to 7th and it was glorious. I also did PA in Late October and it was freezing but still great weather. Hope this helps
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

You will miss the best of the fall foliage by late October, but it is a pleasant time in that section.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    You will miss the best of the fall foliage by late October, but it is a pleasant time in that section.
    Maybe that's a good thing, missing the peak of foliage as I'll be missing the peak of the Leaf Peepers too. I was wondering when the peak was, so thanks, and good to confirm that it's a pleasant time of year, that's the info I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I did those states from October 1st to 7th and it was glorious. I also did PA in Late October and it was freezing but still great weather. Hope this helps
    thanks! I cannot hit the trail until about Oct 19th or so.

I started at Palmerton, PA on Oct 19th last year and had a very pleasant hike for 115 miles
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

If you go, don't miss the Halloween displays in Salisbury. Well worth a visit (as is the local grocery).

Unless a big storm comes along and blows all the leaves off the trees, it should be about peak colors in CT/MA around Columbus day weekend and will linger for a couple of weeks, until the beginning of Nov. Colors are quickly advancing in Northern NH, but still won't hit peak for another week or so.

Keep in mind off trail lodging is insanely expensive through that area during foliage season, as the cliental are rich urban dwellers.

The mornings will be crisp, often with frost. Afternoons can be nice and warm. Rain may not be a big factor, but I sure hope we start getting drenched about then as we desperately need the water. If you discount an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset, your down to 9 hours of daylight by the middle of October. Shelters tend to be on the East side of the ridge, as storms come from the West. That means it gets dark on that side even earlier.

Not sure how you'll get to and from the trail, that will be a nightmare to arrange.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Unless a big storm comes along and blows all the leaves off the trees, it should be about peak colors in CT/MA around Columbus day weekend and will linger for a couple of weeks, until the beginning of Nov. Colors are quickly advancing in Northern NH, but still won't hit peak for another week or so.

Keep in mind off trail lodging is insanely expensive through that area during foliage season, as the cliental are rich urban dwellers.

The mornings will be crisp, often with frost. Afternoons can be nice and warm. Rain may not be a big factor, but I sure hope we start getting drenched about then as we desperately need the water. If you discount an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset, your down to 9 hours of daylight by the middle of October. Shelters tend to be on the East side of the ridge, as storms come from the West. That means it gets dark on that side even earlier.

Not sure how you'll get to and from the trail, that will be a nightmare to arrange.
    Great info, thanks Slo!

As far as getting to the trail, are the trains out of NY not running? I was planning on flying into LGA, taking the Harlem train north to the AT station near Pawling, hiking to Bennington VT, renting a car, driving to Albany (or Boston, got a friend there) for the flight home. Flights are dirt cheap right now. Is there anything wrong with this plan?

And I'll probably spring for a couple nights along the way at B&B's, life's short, I'll spend a few bucks now and then.

Again, thanks, and poke holes in my plan if I'm missing something.

Just that you know, the Appalachian Trail station is CLOSED and there are no trains serving Pawling the weekends, only weekdays and the service is limited. You will have to take a train to Pawling and from there either hike to the trail or pay for a ride. The MTA site is not easy to navigate. For more information, go to Schedules & Fares, then click on All Train Schedules then click on Harlem Line schedules and there you have the weekday schedule and the weekend schedule. Also, if you need a shuttle in the area, Hudson from the Bearded Woods hostel does shuttles but his hostel is closed for the season. Check our his web site beardedwoods.com.
    Last edited by stephanD; 09-24-2020 at 15:27.

Also as of now (subject to change, of course) it looks like camping in MA is still not allowed along the AT anywhere (all shelters and sites are closed, and camping outside those designated areas is not allowed normally).

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    (New Mexico just placed a 14-day self quarantine in place, thwarting my plans for a couple/few weeks on the NM CDT, alas, so I'm searching for a relaxing 2.5 weeks of hiking somewhere...)
    Massachusetts also requires 14 day self quarantine, or a negative COVID-19 test from a sample taken within 72 hours before arrival in Mass., unless you coming from a designated safe state. Colorado is a safe state, but you would be subject to the Mass. travel restriction if you drove there from CO because of all the non-safe states you would pass through on the way. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...r-risk-states-

Images

I just canceled a walk in Vermont cause my county in Connecticut is yellow on the Vermont quarantine map!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    Massachusetts also requires 14 day self quarantine, or a negative COVID-19 test from a sample taken within 72 hours before arrival in Mass., unless you coming from a designated safe state. Colorado is a safe state, but you would be subject to the Mass. travel restriction if you drove there from CO because of all the non-safe states you would pass through on the way. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...r-risk-states-
    thanks, good info, I had checked on travel to CT/Mass, I could fly in/out of Boston and satisfy requirements (from CO), but alas, Billygr points out:

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Also as of now (subject to change, of course) it looks like camping in MA is still not allowed along the AT anywhere (all shelters and sites are closed, and camping outside those designated areas is not allowed normally).
    Yikes! wow, I missed that, oh well, time to figure out Plan C, I'm now thinking a section of the Hayduke (Utah).

Sorry to waste y'alls time with responses for something I cannot legally do. As I said at the beginning of this pandemic, not being able to hike a long trail is the definition of a first-world, white person problem; trivial compared to other problems.

Journal Entries

Fall is nice and all that. But, does anyone ever mention that when the leaves fall and cover the trail it's hard to see the trail since everything looks the same? Is it just me since I had to abandon hikes at this time. The big exception is open ridges, which are better at this time.

Journal Entries

One other item: It seems the buses that ran in CT. are now all gone. At one time I could jump on one and go almost anywhere along the trail in Ct. Not any more. Not even Sheffield, MA. has service any more. I thought it was great to go to Kent on a Friday night and get a train in Pawling back on Sunday. Won't work now. Not trying to hijack the thread, though.

However it looks like things may get shut down again due to more outbreaks in some areas. The shelters will be closed before they were ever opened.

Journal Entries

thanks, good info, I had checked on travel to CT/Mass, I could fly in/out of Boston and satisfy requirements (from CO), but alas, Billygr points out: ....
    Except it was not good info. This is straight forward. The very link to the Mass site he posted indicates that you can pass through restricted states as long as you are transiting though. So yes you can drive from CO to MA, and as long as you are in transit through those restricted states, and stops which can include gas, food and overnight stops, are allowed. If you visit the St Louis Arch on the way then that would be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Except it was not good info. This is straight forward. The very link to the Mass site he posted indicates that you can pass through restricted states as long as you are transiting though. So yes you can drive from CO to MA, and as long as you are in transit through those restricted states, and stops which can include gas, food and overnight stops, are allowed. If you visit the St Louis Arch on the way then that would be the problem.
    Not sure what you mean - I didn't post any links to anything, just the note about no camping in MA.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Not sure what you mean - I didn't post any links to anything, just the note about no camping in MA.
    That was referencing Scrum's comment, not yours.

thanks, good info, I had checked on travel to CT/Mass, I could fly in/out of Boston and satisfy requirements (from CO), but alas, Billygr points out:

Yikes! wow, I missed that, oh well, time to figure out Plan C, I'm now thinking a section of the Hayduke (Utah).

Sorry to waste y'alls time with responses for something I cannot legally do. As I said at the beginning of this pandemic, not being able to hike a long trail is the definition of a first-world, white person problem; trivial compared to other problems.
    Thank you for observing their restrictions colorado_rob.

I am closing this since you are working on different plans.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++