WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rich Mountain Trail

Looking to take the Rich Mountain trail over to #6 Saturday night and head back on Rich Mountain Loop trail. Anyone done this? Is there ample water?
    Thanks

I've done the Rich Mtn Loop Trail, New Years 2019. There were some shallow stream crossings and a waterfall off trail. I don't know if they'd be there year-round or not. I wouldn't count on it. The ground was muddy when I went, so to me, that suggests that in a dry spell, those shallow creek crossings could dry up. Not sure about the waterfall. More substantial but maybe hard to reach; IDK, none of us tried.

Thanks. I'm looking for a quick over nighter on that side of the park. 8-10 miles.

Images

the water source for #6 is down in the holler on sorta the north west side of the campsite...

a small spring down there....

i havent been up there in a few years but guessin it should be flowing.....

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    Looking to take the Rich Mountain trail over to #6 Saturday night and head back on Rich Mountain Loop trail. Anyone done this? Is there ample water?
    Thanks
    Call the Smokies' Backcountry Information Office at 865-436-1297. They may know.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    the water source for #6 is down in the holler on sorta the north west side of the campsite...

a small spring down there....

i havent been up there in a few years but guessin it should be flowing.....
    Camp site #6 is a short ways down the otherwise closed Scott Mountain Trail.
    The water source is farther down the trail beyond the campsite.
    Looking at Google Earth, I think the water is on the inside of the 2nd "finger" past the campsite, about 1/4 mile where you left the trail to climb the hill to the campsite.
    Last time I was there in summer of 2019, the trail towards the water source was starting to get overgrown, but I didn't have any issues getting to and collecting water from the source.

At the time, I was hiking Rich Mountain Loop as a hot July day hike. Used CS#6 as a spot to rest and refill my water bottles after the climb up Crooked Arm Ridge.
    The water source is pretty close to the top of the mountain, so I would image it's quick to dry up during a dry spell.

I don't recall any other water sources along the Rich Mountain Loop other than the drainage crossing about half way between John Oliver Cabin and the intersection with Indian Grave Gap trail.
    Of course there should also be a water source for camp site #5, but off the top of my head, I don't recall where that water source is (or if I've ever seen it) and again, any water source there is near the top of the mountain and should be some of the 1st water sources to dry up during a dry spell.

Everyone keeps talking about dry spells. We are having a pretty wet summer in this corner of the Smokies (I can see Rich Mountain from our house). You should be perfectly fine, but the suggestion to call the Backcountry office for advice is always a good one. It is a nice loop, not many good views this time of year, but a great walk through the woods.

Images

Camp site #6 is a short ways down the otherwise closed Scott Mountain Trail.
    The water source is farther down the trail beyond the campsite.

the spring i am referring to wasnt near the trail.....

at the campsite----just north and downhill in the holler, i found a flowing source....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    the spring i am referring to wasnt near the trail.....

at the campsite----just north and downhill in the holler, i found a flowing source....
    Looking at Google Earth, I think we're both talking about the same water source, except you are walking strait to it an running into the drainage above the trail. I'm describing the L..O..N..G.. way to get there by walking away from the drainage to return to the trail, then follow the trail to go all the way around the hill the campsite sits on to run into the same drainage lower down the mountain.

Obviously your direct path is the better one if the water is flowing good

++ New Posts ++