WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pit stops - things to see?

Doing a road trip in a couple weeks to help a friend drive a car from NJ to FL for her dad. We will be driving about 7-8 hours per day and she wanted to know if there was anything I wanted to stop at for a quick peek. She said we are avoiding all the big cities (good) and going through the Blue Ridge Mountains vs taking 95 along the coast and through the cities. First leg is NJ to Roanoke< VA. Then Roanoke to somewhere near Savannah GA.

Any good suggestions for stops along the way to stretch our legs? Won't have a lot of time to stop and enjoy but of there's a great vista point with some interesting history that we should grab a quick look, let me know.

Maybe there's not enough time but if there's something, would love to stop once or twice.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

well....

if you come down 81-----that's the shenandoah valley and you have that Park to the east of 81...

you will still need to get off the interstate and drive for a little bit before you hit anything...

big schloss is on the other side of the highway and a pretty simple drive......and not that far of a hike to get to
    an overlook...

also---keep going down 81 and youi'll pass Mt. Rogers.......

81 basically parallels the AT down to tennessee....

and then of course, you'll hit interstate 40 over to 75 and that will pass the Smoky's....

and then keep going down 75, and you'll pass joyce kilmer and some wilderness areas...

and big frog and the cohuttas are along the way........

but again, you have to get off the highway for something......

or, hellfire----you could go up the world's fair ball in knoxville..

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You might want to check out parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive.
    Skyline Drive is just "The Blue Ridge Parkway" in Shenandoah National Park.
    The only problem is that this isn't a "Pit Stop", it's an alternate road, and it's not quick. If you started in Shenandoah and went to the end of the Blue Ridge in Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the trip would likely require two days.
    But it can be nice to spend some time along a part of it.

Something I've never been to that is along the Blue Ridge is Grandfather Mountain. That might be something to look into.
    Another "interesting" thing would me Mount Mitchel off the Blue Ridge in NC. It's interesting just in that it's the highest point east of the Mississippi River.

Images

The only problem is that this isn't a "Pit Stop", it's an alternate road, and it's not quick. If you started in Shenandoah and went to the end of the Blue Ridge in Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the trip would likely require two days

yeah....

not a quick drive with the speed limit and the winding roads....

but very scenic....

and from the end of the smoky's-----you can keep going on some small roads---some large but not interstate roads and then meet back up with 75
    over by chattanooga...

or----even take it through small roads down to atlanta...

again----it will add time to the all ready long trip...

hopefully you guys get along well in a car for multiple hours and many days...

Cumberland Island National Seashore at St Mary’s GA would be a great stop if you had the time. It would require a full day though to ride the ferry over and back. Crooked river state park is near with tent sites or cabins.

I would have advise the settlers museum and the one room schoolhouse in Atkins, VA right off the i-81 but unfortunately both are closed because of covid

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Red Bank Battlefield is a small Rev War site off 95 in NJ
    Cedar Creek Battlefield is a civil war site off 81 in VA
    New Market Battlefield is a civil war site off 81 in VA
    Woodrow Wilson's home is right off 81 in VA
    Overmountain Victory is a small Rev War site off 81 in VA
    Mt. Matanzas is off 95 in FL
    Castillo de San Marcos is off 95 in FL
    Be Prepared

If you wanted a morning leg stretch, hit up McAfee's for sunrise in Roanoke and you can still get back on the road around breakfast time.

-Not too far off I95 in Florida is Big Tree Park, Longwood, Florida. It has the oldest trees in Florida.
    -A stop in St. Augustine, which claims to be the oldest city in the US, is always nice.

Where in Florida are you headed?

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    -Not too far off I95 in Florida is Big Tree Park, Longwood, Florida. It has the oldest trees in Florida.
    -A stop in St. Augustine, which claims to be the oldest city in the US, is always nice.

Where in Florida are you headed?
    Sarasota. She has a plan for where we will visit the day we are in FL. We have 1.5 days (2 nights) before we fly each fly home (cheaper fares and we are staying with her family so no extra cost for staying a night)

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

In that case you're likely taking I75. Near Ocala is the drag racing museum. It also has a car museum. One can actually see it from I75. Well worth stopping for a couple of hours on your way down.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    In that case you're likely taking I75. Near Ocala is the drag racing museum. It also has a car museum. One can actually see it from I75. Well worth stopping for a couple of hours on your way down.
    LOL. I'll mention it to my friend but I don't think that's her idea of a good time.

As it turns out one of my friends formerly from MA (now MI) is going to be in W-S NC that weekend visiting her dad and we are going to meet up with them on that leg of the trip.

So now just looking to see if there might be a stop between NJ and Roanoke. Will look at the other suggestions.

Plenty of short but rewarding hikes in the Roanoke Valley itself, if you want to stretch your legs after driving all day. If you are staying in town head up to the Roanoke Star and enjoy the network of trails atop Mill Mountain. You can do anything from 0.1 to a ~10 mile loop hike

++ New Posts ++