WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT between Rock Gap Shelter and Winding Stair Gap

Hi folks! I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the approximately 4 mile section of the AT between Rock Gap Shelter and Winding Stair Gap, NC. A friend of mine and I plan to rendezvous somewhere in that section later in October, and I'm wondering about the existence of level tent camping sites. Neither the AWOL Guide or Guthooks seem to indicate anything. Is this no-mans land for tent camping? Thanks.

Leonidas

There is a site as soon as you finish the climb up from Rock Gap parking. You might even want to stay there as the climb can suck if it is at the end of a long day. I don't recall any others but I was racing to get to my shuttle to Franklin.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Maybe about a mile or less after Wallace Gap going north. Trail crosses an old logging road near some steps. Spot for one or two tents. Pretty level. Maybe another mile or more north of here, there are two spots slightly off the trail on the right. Really nice views into Franklin here. Pretty level. Again, maybe two tents could be pitched here. Get water at the creek going north right after Wallace Gap.

++ New Posts ++