WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What to do for a map on a section hike? My current paper map is old.

I have taken an AT Official Map on prior trips but my current map is from 2008. For my section hike (in Nantahala), I found out online that one of the shelters has been taken out while another added. So my map is not up to date about that. That got me wondering what else my map is not up to date about... like water locations.

Frankly, I probably don't really need to take a map. But one could be useful to track mileage, my location, water spots, and if something happens, where roads are. And I actually like having a map.

Is there an app that will provide roads, my location, map trail, shelters, water spots, etc.? I saw Guthook but wasn't sure if that did those things.

Guthooks is kind of the bomb. It will definitely do all of those things that you are asking about.

Thanks... it costs a little but pales in comparison to my new tent... and sleeping bag.

The ATC has a offer on the web site for a free trail map app for making a donation. Might be worth a look.

https://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads Might not be exactly what you are looking for , but it's free!

I took guthook. It was a totally amazing product. Between water stop statuses, hiking distance left, elevation, off shelter camping spots, marking campsites, and other stuff, it was everything I could have asked for.

Caltopo and open street maps both have free on line maps available.

++ New Posts ++