WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking at Coleman Lake Recreation Area

We're planning a Pinhoti hike in October-November and trying to get closure on re-supply points. Can you leave a car for several days at Coleman Lake Recreation Area? Is it possible to do a food drop there?

Thanks

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Swampguy View Post
    We're planning a Pinhoti hike in October-November and trying to get closure on re-supply points. Can you leave a car for several days at Coleman Lake Recreation Area? Is it possible to do a food drop there?

Thanks
    You could leave a car at Coleman Lake Recreation Area, but I think you may need to pay the day use fee of $3 per day. As far as a food drop, you would probably want to talk to the Ranger District.
    Shoal Creek Ranger District
    Linwood Butler, District Ranger
    45 Highway 281
    Heflin, AL 36264
    256-463-2272
    How far are you planning on going? Link to a Pinhoti Guide with re-supply information: https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/pinhoti-trail-map
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Check with the Pinhoti Trail Association, or the book of faces group, they're much quicker to respond.

Charlotte

The Pinhoti Trailhead is not actually inside the campground so no fee to park there. If you leaveca car there, just leave your food in a mouse proof container in the car. We left my car there for 3 1/2 days it took to hike in from Cave Spring in May. I would be interested in hearing if you can do a food drop! I don't think USPS delivers out there do they? But never thought to ask.

Thanks for the replies folks!

We're doing a really complicated hike of the Alabama section that includes leapfrogging two cars into four re-supply spots between Porter's Gap and Cave Spring. Our food "drops" would be either parking a car or leaving a re-supply box if the location would allow that but not allow us to park. A couple of spots appear to allow either, with a daily fee for the car. Coleman was the one we could not reach and confirm. Thanks for pointing out the trailhead. We were wondering about that as a safe option there as well.

Good suggestions on the Greenbelly site guide and Facebook group. We've been using the Greenbelly guide among other resources. I'm not much of a Facebook user so that doesn't always come to mind for me as a resource. Thanks again.

Leonidas

Let me know what locations and I will check Guthook to see if there are any comments. I have left a car at FS 500(at the Heflin spur)by the tracks for 3-6 days a couple of times with no issue. Friends have left cars at Pinkie Burns as well with no issues. Another option is to check with Nathan and Kimm at the Pinhoti Outdoor Center, they generally have an ear out for happenings on the trail.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Thanks. We've been using Guthook for planning and had one phone call with Nathan. Incredibly helpful guy. Just couldn't nail down Coleman until now.

Also thought I'd mention that the active Pinhoti Trail Alliance Facebook group appears to be permanently unavailable unless you are already a member. My wife is and can view it. I'm not and can't see it at all.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Swampguy View Post
    Also thought I'd mention that the active Pinhoti Trail Alliance Facebook group appears to be permanently unavailable unless you are already a member. My wife is and can view it. I'm not and can't see it at all.
    Interesting, I deactivated FB recently so I wasn't aware.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

++ New Posts ++