WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default parking in Harpers Ferry

the AWOL guide (and Google Earth) shows a big parking lot right off the Trail at the west end of the Shenandoah River (US 340) bridge on the south side of Harpers Ferry.
    Is this safe parking for 3-4 days? Is Registration/permit required and if so who do I contact?
    I know I could park safely at Natl Historical Park but it's a mile off Trail.

TIA
    Mapman

It's been a couple years since I've been down there but, pretty sure you put money in a envelope and info and put in a brown box. Absolutely safe. If it makes you feel better contact the HF police department and let them know your car will be there for whatever days.

There are free busses that run from the Natl Historic Park to downtown. I would call to confirm that it is running and open since so many federal Park visitor center are closed this year.

Update: The Natl Historic Park Visitor Center is closed due to covid, so that option is out for me. And not specific to Harpers Ferry, but at the other end of my October hike, Pen Mar park's phone number seems to be out of service. I have the 2018 AWOL guide, but the Washington County Parks website lists the same phone number, and it didn't work for me.

Images

I contacted the national park service last week about advice for alternate parking since the website lists the large parking lot on Shoreline drive as closed. I received an email response that the parking lot is now open and they directed us to the long term parking application. The application was submitted and processed. https://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/parking.htm

ATC has a trail update about a temporary closing at Pen Mar, supposed to re-open soon

My son has already submitted his parking reservation for Pen Mar on line, didn't indicate any problems. His car will be there, mine in HF

Quote Originally Posted by carouselambra View Post
    I contacted the national park service last week about advice for alternate parking since the website lists the large parking lot on Shoreline drive as closed. I received an email response that the parking lot is now open and they directed us to the long term parking application. The application was submitted and processed. https://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/parking.htm
    Ditto, I've just submitted the application myself to park at the Visitor Center. Apparently the parking lot is open even if the Visitor Center itself is closed.

++ New Posts ++