WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I searched eBay for "aluminum thumb screw" and "aluminum nut". I only found vendors located in China. Delivery from China typically takes 6-8 weeks. In my experience, about a third of the items coming from China will not be as described. Perhaps steel instead of aluminum, hex screw instead of thumb screw, etc. They are usually pretty good about giving refunds though. It's something to factor in if you have a time schedule.

I used M5x10 (5mm wide by 10mm long) thumb screws with a flat head. I suppose other sizes would work as well but I had to pick something. Some thumb screws have a raised head, see first photo. This won't pack as well. The specific eBay item number I used:184238320507. I used M5x15x5 thumb nuts. eBay item number:393145787793.

There are other sellers. These are item numbers of the items that arrived and were correct for me. I ordered 10 at a time to average out the shipping. I think I spent $10-15 for each, so about a $1.25 per nut and $1.25 per screw. I seem to recall I couldn't find the thumb screws and nuts I wanted on Amazon. Anything I found on other vendor web sites required larger purchases. For me eBay was the way to go for small purchases.
    The titanium spoons are usually as described and are typically priced at $12-15 each. They can be found in bulk for a little less per spoon. These can be found on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere.

I have tried several folding spoons. Some plastic, some titanium, different folding mechanisms. I like my design best. It is fairly close in concept to an out-of-production utensil from Snow Peak, although I prefer the spoon bowl shown in my photos to what Snow Peak offered. Of course this is personal preference.
    I looked at your pictures looks like you might have a new nitch business if you wanted. LOOKS PRETTY COOL. i had to look up the other ones.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

@perrymk Thanks for the details

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I have tried several folding spoons. Some plastic, some titanium, different folding mechanisms. I like my design best. It is fairly close in concept to an out-of-production utensil from Snow Peak, although I prefer the spoon bowl shown in my photos to what Snow Peak offered. Of course this is personal preference.
    I found a Snow Peak folding spoon on eBay! It’s bidding at $150 and a $250 Buy It Now. I’ll probably give it a pass even though it would be interesting to see the spoon that inspired my idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++