WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default An unidentified 2017 AT Hiker has died on the Florida Trail

The hiker known as "Denim", "Mostly Harmless", or just "Harmless" hiked southbound on the AT in 2017. He started in NY and hiked to Springer Mountain, arriving sometime in December, with plans to hike the Pinhoti Trail then hike the Florida Trail to Key West.

Unfortunately, his body was found on the Florida Trail on July 23rd at Nobles Campsite in Big Cypress National Preserve. He did not have any identification on him and the Collier County Sheriff Office is asking for help identifying him. If anyone else has any additional information that could help identify this man, please contact the authorities so that his family can be notified.

Link to the news article.
    https://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...rve/890986002/

Additional information can be found on the Collier County Sheriff Office facebook page.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone try Odie at The Hiker Yearbook? Seems like this is in wheelhouse - identifying and reconnecting hikers when their hikes are over by cataloging faces, trail names, and real names. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockit Mann View Post
    Anyone try Odie at The Hiker Yearbook? Seems like this is in wheelhouse - identifying and reconnecting hikers when their hikes are over by cataloging faces, trail names, and real names. Just a thought.
    This possibility was brought to the attention of the Sheriff's Office in the past 48 hours . However, it unfortunately seems unlikely as there are reports that he was not carrying a phone for the duration of his hike. Another possibility brought to their attention is that he could have stopped into the ATC Headquarters, had his photograph taken and supplied them with personal info.

It appears that he also did not register with the Florida Trail for his hike, as they are also reaching out to the community for any information about him.

I met Denim early in his journey the morning of July 28th In Maryland at Raven Rock Shelter. We conversed for about 20 minutes or so before heading our separate ways. I noted that he was new to backpacking but was very much enjoying the experience. I also estimated that his pack was very heavy at what I guessed was 50-60 lbs.

He started hiking in June in New York, so he would have passed through pretty much the entire bubble between NY and PA. It is likely that hundreds of 2017 NOBOs met him in passing. Hopefully somewhere along the way someone remembers a bit of personal information that will help lead to his identification.

his body was found
    They have not officially announced the body is that of the missing hiker.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

You are correct, the official announcement has not been made. I would assume this is because they are still unable to positively identify him. The photos provided are from others posting to the Sheriff's page, which they have left up. However, I should rephrase that, a body matching the description of the AT hiker Denim has been found.

The Sheriff has not made an official announcement but the Florida Trail's page is also linking Denim's photo from Mountain Crossings.

Also in the campsite photographs that are provided by the Collier County Sheriff's Office, you can see that the poles match Denim's gear from the picture at Springer, same as the Salomon hiking boots pictured. He is also wearing a beige shirt that matches the description of the deceased. Combined with the info that Denim was hiking the Florida Trail and the location of the body, combined with the reported height and composite released by the sheriff's office there is a lot of info that matches what is currently known.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugthumper View Post
    The Sheriff has not made an official announcement but the Florida Trail's page is also linking Denim's photo from Mountain Crossings.
    Also in the campsite photographs that are provided by the Collier County Sheriff's Office, you can see that the poles match Denim's gear from the picture at Springer, same as the Salomon hiking boots pictured. He is also wearing a beige shirt that matches the description of the deceased.
    Probably worth checking whether he bought any of it from Mountain Crossings, though I suspect they thought of it.

"He was described as 35 to 50 years old, 5-foot-8 and 83 pounds."

I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like a very unhealthy weight.

Journal Entries

No id, no credit/debit card, no insurance card.
    Starts to sound more like homeless than average hiker.

Not that theres anything wrong with that, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post

No doubt...thought the same....83lbs is a skeleton...RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Collier County Sheriff Office posted an update

Deceased hiker CASE UPDATE

We want to thank everyone for their helpful information on the case of the unidentified deceased hiker. Through the work of our dedicated investigators using advanced forensic technologies and with the many leads you have shared, we can tell you the following as an update:
    The body of the deceased was discovered on July 23 and we believe he most likely died within a few days prior to being found.
    There were no obvious injuries and the death does not appear suspicious from a criminal perspective.
    We do believe that the deceased is the same person pictured in the photos here and identified only by his trail names Denim and Mostly Harmless. We do not have his real name.
    We have info that the deceased may have ties to New York State and Louisiana and that he may have worked in the tech industry.
    We actively participate in database services that match unidentified persons to missing persons. We have entered specific forensic information from the deceased in these programs.
    We appreciate and have read all of the advice and theories posted and want you to know that several of our investigators are avid outdoorspersons and are very familiar with trail hiking, equipment, etc. What we need most from the public is info on the name of the hiker known as Denim and Mostly Harmless so that his family can be notified and lay their loved one to rest.
    Please continue to share this post and the previous post. Call us at 239.252.9300 if you have info. Thank you and be kind to one another in your posts!

Some additional photos of Denim were also posted recently on the Pinhoti Trail Alliance facebook pages.

denim4.jpgdenim5.jpgdenim6.jpg

If the photos in post 10 are relatively recent (and they may not be), he doesn’t look that thin. Maybe the 83 pounds weight is a misprint. Nobody proofreads much anymore.

If the photos in post 10 are relatively recent (and they may not be), he doesn’t look that thin. Maybe the 83 pounds weight is a misprint. Nobody proofreads much anymore.

Journal Entries

Probably meant to say 183.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Unfortunately, it wasn't a typo. The Sheriff's office confirmed that he did indeed weigh 83 lbs. I want to be careful not to make too many assumptions. However, I think it is safe to say that he was at an extreme caloric deficit for quite some time to get to that point. If he acquired an illness with his body in a state of complete exhaustion it could have been absolutely crippling. Without a cellphone it is possible that he was unable to call for help. Then again, at that location on the map it doesn't appear that he was in that remote of a location, but I have not hiked the Florida Trail so I cannot speak from experience.

There are reports from people that have met him from early on the AT all the way to FL. Hopefully someone who met him will see these posts and remember some bit of information that he relayed that will lead to his identification. Such a sad situation.

Here is another picture someone has posted showing him with his pack.

denim7.jpg

I think they have released his trail name but still have no idea what his real name was.

That's crazy. Something catastrophic would have had to happen for him to get to that weight without seeking out help. Maybe a snake bite? Can cause muscle wasting/atrophy. Hope they find his family or friends and figure out what happened....very sad situation.

I wonder what ties they think he has with Louisiana. I’m in Louisiana and shared his pic on Facebook but a little more info would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by C4web88 View Post
    That's crazy. Something catastrophic would have had to happen for him to get to that weight without seeking out help. Maybe a snake bite? Can cause muscle wasting/atrophy. Hope they find his family or friends and figure out what happened....very sad situation.
    I agree. And at 5'5" and 110# as a female I'm on the low end of what's barely acceptable for BMI. 83# for a male...that's starvation

Hitrailer here - There is another thread concerning Denim/Mostly Harmless that contains more info about him and his contacts on the AT and FT. I have started inquiring with other hikers but have not found any identifying info yet. However, considering the number of hikers who have come forward about meeting him, I think it will be possible to find out who he is. He left good impressions with hikers on the trail. He was friendly and hiked with people he met. I hope by crowd sourcing with hikers he can be identified. I know there must be friends and family out there who would want to know what happened to him. Go to: https://www.reddit.com/r/Appalachian...name=frontpage

Is it raining yet?
    Images

So a few points of interest:
    1. Why would the police mention he had perfect teeth & weighed 83 lbs but not release the cause of death? I understand that teeth are a good gauge of an individual's (or animal's) overall health.
    2. I've never entered or opened someone else's tent w/o permission. Aside from a smell, I can imagine ever doing so.

Thoughts?
    Be Prepared

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++