WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default New Jersey Trail Status

A while back, they closed part of the trail in New Jersey. I heard of a similar move more recently.

https://www.njherald.com/news/202003...19-cases-climb

Anyone have the latest on hiking the trail in NJ (including overnight stays)?

This article is from March. They have since re-opened. At least I hope it is open, I have a section hike planned for next month from DWG to Wawayanda!

This website may help

https://www.njhiking.com/nj-hiking-trail-conditions/
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

"Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

As noted above you may need to self quarantine. According to the ATC website overnight camping is closed in NJ and MA.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    As noted above you may need to self quarantine. According to the ATC website overnight camping is closed in NJ and MA.
    The NY/NJ/CT self-quarantine is officially the case for both Virginia and NC. Since I'm high-risk anyway, I've chosen to follow it and delay section hikes there. Though the biggest concern is likely someone going vigilante to an out of state car at a trailhead, rather than anything legal.

I'm watching for the requirement to be dropped for Virginia in the next couple of weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I've been watching this. It says compliance is voluntary, but compliance is expected. One could argue that hiking in the woods is quarantining in spirit. All I know about CV suggest that being outdoors away from people is safe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I am unable to find information on the ATC website saying overnight camping is closed. Many shelters appear to be closed. There seemingly was an update on August 14. Either overnight camping is now permitted, or I am unable to find the closure notice.

Self-quarantining would mean not using shuttles or staying on hostels in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I've been watching this. It says compliance is voluntary, but compliance is expected. One could argue that hiking in the woods is quarantining in spirit. All I know about CV suggest that being outdoors away from people is safe.
    It boldly says it like this
    The self-quarantine is voluntary, but compliance is expected.

They also say
    Travelers and residents returning from impacted states should self-quarantine at their home, a hotel, or other temporary lodging. Individuals should only leave the place of self-quarantine to seek medical care/treatment or to obtain food and other essential items.
    Moving along down a public trail is not actually quarantining. A backpacker has everything on their back they need. (Other states in the region describe self-quarantining in more detail, such as having a separate bathroom available and other conditions.)

Whether it is safe or not is not the topic of the thread. OP was just asking about things that affect hiking the trail.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++