WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wardens lead rescue of Rhode Island woman on Appalachian Trail in Redington Township

why are there 3 threads about the same person? I have noticed in the past the same thing happens. Perhaps one thread with all related articles for the same incident would suffice?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

It seems she walked out and it was described as she was rescued. She called the Rangers on her device. Ok, I accept that she fell and perhaps she did injure herself, but was the call necessary? Was it a rescue or perhaps a unnecessary walk to the rescue vehicle. Perhaps too many devices on on the trail.

I think improper use would be more accurate then "too many devices on the trail" if that is the case
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Short answer: yes

was the call necessary?
    SAR personnel & EMTs are unanimous that you should call anytime you are not certain you can walk out on your own.
    They MUCH prefer helping someone who is mildly injured over carrying out people who THOUGHT they could walk on their own, and find out that they can't.

This includes the EMT who assisted me in walking about a mile back to the trail-head when I had an attack of norovirus five minutes after being dropped off by my wife. Unable to walk more than three meters without severe dizziness, and vomiting every five minutes, I called 911. After I lost just about everything I had eaten in the last two days, I felt well enough to start walking. The EMT who I soon met was adamant that I should just sit still and not walk -- at that point we had no idea WHAT was wrong, and getting to a doctor had to be our first priority. I asked the ambulance and rescue crew about the seven vehicles sent for one person, and they were very clear that this was the proper way to handle it.

I'm fully aware of the complaint of, "Why is money spent in order to save people's lives?", as well as, "If only more people would die while in the back-country, my hikes would be more satisfying." I just don't agree with either viewpoint.

++ New Posts ++