WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water on Segment 27

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has any recent info on water availability on segment 27? Looking to go NOBO from Durango, spending the second night at Taylor Lake and wondering what reliable camping options there are with water (and just water options in general) there might be the night after, on segment 27.

Thanks much!

Images

Since you're asking, I assume that means you don't have the Guthook app, which has recent water availability data, so I'll paraphrase off of the app for you.

Taylor lake (awesome, by the way, though we did not camp there on our 2018 CT SOBO hike) is at trail mile 462.3. Heading north, there is water in a small seep at mile 455.5, about 7 miles north of Taylor lake. There is a Guthook comment saying there is still a "shallow trickle" and "still flowing" as of August 6.

At mile 454.9, another 0.6 north, there is apparently water near a log scratched with "water", still flowing as of 8/6, but as with the last one, bring a scoop or something to collect it (we use zip-lock bags).

The next water, according to Guthook is at mile 441, which is into section 26.

FWIW, we camped somewhere maybe 4-6 miles or so into section 27 (going SOBO) along a ridge in a copse of trees, one of our more scenic campsites, see attached pic. that would be 15 miles into section 27 going NOBO, maybe 13 miles from Taylor lake. It was a "dry camp", and we carried water in from our last camp north of there.

As you know, this is a dry area, especially this time of year. Personally, I'd consider joining one of the CT facebook groups, if you have a FB account, for recent updates on this area's water situation. Or just do like we do and carry a bunch through there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks very much Colorado Rob! I do not have the Guthook app, but I will definitely join the FB group.

All the information is greatly appreciated-- we're not going to depend on water being in the two spots you mentioned, but it's good to know that it likely will be.

Thank you!!

If it helps, I just went through that area two weeks ago. Going NOBO there is no water from Taylor Lake for about 20 miles. I did it SOBO and carried 2 liters. It really shouldn't be a problem.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

++ New Posts ++