WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Earthquake!

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Default Earthquake!

“A magnitude 5.1 earthquake was felt on Sunday morning near Sparta, North Carolina, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
    The earthquake, which was reported at 8:07 a.m. Sunday Aug 9th according to local reports, is one of the strongest in the state's history.”

Not that far from the AT...Anyone up around Bland may have a story to tell?
    Kevin

Our home is a few miles east of Sparta.
    The quake sounded like a freight train was going right trough the house. Freaky scary for 30 seconds or so.
    No damage thank goodness. When Nothing else happened, I went for a 6 mile walk.
    Video and still photos from Sparta show some damage to a few homes, water and gas lines leaking but shut off quickly. No fatalities that we have heard of.
    Moving to the mountains was our way of leaving hurricanes behind. Ironically, we had a hurricane and an earthquake nearby in the same week.
    Be well Y’all!
    Wayne

Mother natures always showing off for ya Venchka,, they say it was felt from DC to Atlanta . It's a very strange thing to experience. About 5 years ago we had one in the area I was doing a plumbing job at a college in northern VA. I was carrying tools up to the truck and everything started shaking the trees were shaking like there was wind but there was none. I think that was around 5 magnitude.
    Last edited by JNI64; 08-11-2020 at 00:21.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Our home is a few miles east of Sparta.
    The quake sounded like a freight train was going right trough the house. Freaky scary for 30 seconds or so.
    No damage thank goodness. When Nothing else happened, I went for a 6 mile walk.
    Video and still photos from Sparta show some damage to a few homes, water and gas lines leaking but shut off quickly. No fatalities that we have heard of.
    Moving to the mountains was our way of leaving hurricanes behind. Ironically, we had a hurricane and an earthquake nearby in the same week.
    Be well Y’all!
    Wayne
    I can only imagine what it would have been like to be on the MST at Devils Garden Overlook, or on top of Stone Mountain at that moment.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

There was one near Berlin NH one day while I was working. Most of the area is on solid rock. No real shaking, it just felt like someone picked up the building a short distance and dropped it. One big thump.

++ New Posts ++