WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clingmans to Davenport

I'm planning to do Clingman's to Davenport Gap to finish the Smokies over Labor Day weekend. I noticed that Cosby Knob Shelter is currently closed due to bear activity. Does anybody have any details on that? How long it's been closed and/or potential reopening? I couldn't find anything. Also, are there bear cables at Davenport Gap Shelter? Thanks for any info!

I believe Crosby has been closed for some time. It has a history of bear problems so it could be shut down indefinitely. Which really screws up the spacing. Long day from Tri-Corner to Davenport, but half of it is down hill.

Davenport shelter has a chain link fence in front which can be secured a night, so no bear cables. It's also on the side of a hill, so tenting around the shelter isn't very good.

Starting at Clingmans, I would stop at Ice Water Springs and Tri-Corner (which is a given). Labor day weekend. Better be on the computer the second the reservation window opens up or you'll miss out. I think their still reserving at half capacity.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Leonidas

Not sure how long it has been closed this year but it gets closed every year at some point for bear activity. It generally stays closed for a while after that, and it seems some years it doesn't re-open until late in the year. Davenport Gap Shelter has no cables, a fence to keep humans in, and the "privy" area is nothing but rocks and rocks with poop under them pretty much.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks for the replies. That's what I'm thinking for stops. I will probably just continue down the the Gap instead of staying at the shelter. It will be a long day but what's another 1.1 on the last day. Any idea what time the reservation system rolls over at night? I do plan on jumping on it right away when they are available.

Leonidas

I want to say it is midnight Mountain for some weird reason. They are only allowing reservations 14 days out currently instead of the normal 30 from what I understand.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Cosby Shelter is in the section that I maintain. It was open when I worked the section on July 16.

I did see a handwritten note about a "pesky " bear attached to the Covid19 warnings poster attached to the shelter.

And yes, it happens almost ever summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rmitchell; 08-04-2020 at 22:25. Reason: added photo

++ New Posts ++