WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Finding information on AT re-routes

Hi all,

Where can I find out about AT re-routes over the decades? I'm looking backwards not forwards (i.e. not as much what might be proposed or coming, but what's happened to date).

I'd like to find out as much as I can, including maps/descriptions/decisions made.
    Of course, I understand that some of that might get lost with history. But, in today's digital world (where there seems to be a website for everything), maybe there is an archive to dig through the history of the route of the AT.
    Thanks.

It’s a long shot but if u can get a hold of the old AT News they use to publish relocations in each issue. I wish I would have held on to mine.
    More walking, less talking.

You could try talking with the clubs. One thing to ask about is if they have any newsletters archived.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I live in CT where there have been some extensive reroutes. I have a collection of old guidebooks. By comparing the old route description with the current one it is not too difficult to figure out the reroutes. I have tried following the old paths. In some cases it is relatively easy with the occasional old blaze even still visible but in others it is impossible. It is still fun to try. Unfortunately the old guidebook maps are usually very vague.

The old guide books could be a good starting point. Because of the ephemeral and dynamic nature of the trail in the past the guides will often be lacking. For example when I dId the section around Daleville back in 1981 the guide had the trail going over McAfee knob and Tinker cliffs. The AT at that time bypassed McAfee and Tinker because of landowner issues. This relo lasted several years but probably never made it to the guide book.
    More walking, less talking.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The South is filled with re-locations.

Everything from moving trail from up and over ridgetops to sidehill tread. To totally new paths; especially from Unaka Mtn TN/NC to Mt Rogers area. Trail went from road routes to connecting forest roads & various trails to huge reroutes as USFS acquired land.

Best resource would be look for archived trail guides and maps from years back. Libaries with old books on the AT. I have one from the 1970s. Some of the current trail guides will have descriptions about side trails being old AT routes or history on reroutes.

Back in the early ages of the AT, the CCC didn't have a lot of experience with erosion control. So they went straight up and over. Come late 80s-90s, erosion control took more of a stance in the South. The trail was moved off of sharp ridgetops to sidehill.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++