WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Hiker shape

I have the osprey 70 L . You say pack full but how much weight? But no that shouldn't happen with a osprey. The load lifters should be taunt and the pack against your body. And try pulling the other straps up so more of the weight rides on your shoulders as opposed to your hips taking it all. Or perhaps you need a smaller pack size, meaning torso length wise.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I have the osprey 70 L . You say pack full but how much weight? But no that shouldn't happen with a osprey. The load lifters should be taunt and the pack against your body. And try pulling the other straps up so more of the weight rides on your shoulders as opposed to your hips taking it all. Or perhaps you need a smaller pack size, meaning torso length wise.

My pack weighed 30 lbs.
    It felt secure during the hike itself. I thought I had all the straps on the back of the pack pulled tight. Maybe I need to take a closer look at my shoulder straps then?
    I am almost 5'4, 130 lbs, my backpack is a size Small.

Thanks for your help!
    -If it betters our world, I'm here for it. ♥

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaF7 View Post
    Recently, I started training with my pack...The day following a four mile hike (with my pack full) my hip bones were so sore to the touch. In fact, my left hip bone had a little bruising. Is this normal? Is my pack adjusted to my body properly? Or is this where the good ol' 'Vitamin I' comes in handy and becomes my best friend?
    Ok, there are so many variables at play here that it's impossible to say via internet.
    From your build, what you're wearing underneath, not having the proper size, etc., or just not being used to having a pack on, there are lots of possibilities.
    #1 most likely, though, is probably that your pack is riding too low. That can be caused by a number of things, but a starting point is making sure you're putting the pack on in the right position from the start. It may help to think of it as a waistbelt.
    Not getting the belt tight enough, and having the pack move down so the belt is across the front of my actual hip is what causes me problems, personally. I have to lean forward and get the weight off the belt while tightening it to really get it "right".
    Jam your thumb into the front of your hip, in line with the joint, and take a few steps. Feel that? Is that where your bruise is?

Watch the video at the top of this page, and just focus on where these women's hipbelts are. Maybe that'll help.
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/featured/women-specific/

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaF7 View Post
    My pack weighed 30 lbs.
    It felt secure during the hike itself. I thought I had all the straps on the back of the pack pulled tight. Maybe I need to take a closer look at my shoulder straps then?
    I am almost 5'4, 130 lbs, my backpack is a size Small.

Thanks for your help!
    Yeah the shoulder straps so more weight is on your shoulders. If that doesn't work for you take a look at what owenM is saying. Another thing to consider is weight distribution like the heavier stuff goes in the middle of your pack and the lighter stuff on your lower back.

This gentlemen offers up some pointers on how to properly put on and adjust your pack.I believe I do it the way Owen does as I bend forward and get the waist belt a little higher up the torso,tighten it,straighten up,and let gravity find the right spot relative to the hips.Then it's a matter of shoulder strap,sternum strap,and load lifters.My ULA packs also have a nice little feature that allows you to pull the bottom of the pack tighter against your body as well.

If my hips get uncomfortable I will tighten up the shoulder straps a bit before loosening the hip belt just a little.This puts more weight on the shoulders though so at some point I will invariably repeat the process and tighten the waist belt again after shifting it higher up the torso and letting off the shoulder tension a bit.Personally,I think packs "warm up" and stretch a bit during the day or the tension adjusters slip some which requires a little tweaking during the day.
    link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B3-aqduK-8

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++