WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hiker shape

Journal Entries

We've been doing dayhikes most every weekend since the spring, and sometimes short backpack trips. Included are Mt Mitchell, Grandfather Mountain (that was awesome!), and the Citico/Slickrock Loop. I googled "rugged" hikes in East TN and Western NC to get a good list.

Recently we started going up-and-down the stairs at home while carrying hand weights and lifting them up and down. I've been surprised at how weak I am. Three reps and I'm out of breath and out of strength. Repeat at intervals throughout the day. Hoping to work up to 5 reps at a time by next week.

In addition to the conditioning, I've also been more disciplined with my diet, and I've lost 25 pounds since the beginning of the year. We'll finish the AT this year in November, and I'm determined that I WILL NOT FINISH THE TRAIL FAT! Plenty of fruits and vegetables and whole grains, but I often eat a very light supper, or skip it entirely. This of course, reduces my overall weight on trail, and should make every mountain a little easier to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    We've been doing dayhikes most every weekend since the spring, and sometimes short backpack trips. Included are Mt Mitchell, Grandfather Mountain (that was awesome!), and the Citico/Slickrock Loop. I googled "rugged" hikes in East TN and Western NC to get a good list.

Recently we started going up-and-down the stairs at home while carrying hand weights and lifting them up and down. I've been surprised at how weak I am. Three reps and I'm out of breath and out of strength. Repeat at intervals throughout the day. Hoping to work up to 5 reps at a time by next week.

In addition to the conditioning, I've also been more disciplined with my diet, and I've lost 25 pounds since the beginning of the year. We'll finish the AT this year in November, and I'm determined that I WILL NOT FINISH THE TRAIL FAT! Plenty of fruits and vegetables and whole grains, but I often eat a very light supper, or skip it entirely. This of course, reduces my overall weight on trail, and should make every mountain a little easier to climb.
    I hate exercising at home so I gotta get out as soon as possible---and I know all about those Citico/Slickrock trails which in effect keep me active and strong I guess---tho mentally crushed and of course emasculated.

The list of rugged trails in my neck of the woods is small but captivating---

P1000340-XL.jpg
    Brush Mt trail is the toughest on the Citico side in TN---not so much for its nut climbs but for finding and following the trail and working thru blowdowns.

Trip 189 (382)-XL.jpg
    Did I mention Brush Mt trail??

Trip 203 (363)-XL.jpg
    And then there's possibly the hardest trail in the Southeast---Upper Slickrock #42---the Nutbuster. It always has new blowdowns due to the Hemlock tree dieoff.

Trip 196 (160)-M.jpg
    On the Kilmer side of Slickrock wilderness are the Five Trails of the Apocalypse---Stratton Ridge, Naked Ground, Jenkins Meadow, Haoe Lead and Deep Creek. All of them are tough and all of them gain 3,000 feet of elevation. This pic shows a small blowdown on Naked Ground trail.

Trip 194 (156)-L.jpg
    Here's a wonderful cluster on Deep Creek trail.

"I WILL NOT FINISH THE TRAIL FAT " lol,to funny. 25lbs good for you that's is alot ! And with a new diet I bet you have all kinds of new found energy. Throw a 25lb bag of dog food on shoulders and walk around all day then throw it off ,much better for you.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    "I WILL NOT FINISH THE TRAIL FAT " lol,to funny. 25lbs good for you that's is alot ! And with a new diet I bet you have all kinds of new found energy. Throw a 25lb bag of dog food on shoulders and walk around all day then throw it off ,much better for you.
    We passed this guy on a local trail last weekend. Wow, that's a big "bag of dog food"! I posted it on the Facebook AT Section Hiker page, and it's gotten three or four hundred responses in just a couple days. Pretty impressive dude!

guy carrying log.jpg

We passed this guy on a local trail last weekend. Wow, that's a big "bag of dog food"! I posted it on the Facebook AT Section Hiker page, and it's gotten three or four hundred responses in just a couple days. Pretty impressive dude!

guy carrying log.jpg
    Yeah who needs a gym membership when you can use mother natures gym. Pretty impressive indeed!

That’s awesome Illabelle! I’ve seen people at the gym doing stair steps with kettlebells and I want to try it. Cardio and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Did I read correctly that you up to 20 minutes on the jacobs ladder?that's alot of time Maybe it's time to add a small day pack with 10 lbs? I've been following a routine called Hyperfittness for years. My daughter found this book for me at a yard sale. It's based on a 12 week program, 12 weeks of trekker, 12 weeks of hiker and 12 weeks of sherpa routines which progressively get tougher. Mon,wed,fri is the same tue,thu the same then every 2 weeks it completely changes so your body and mind never has a chance to get used to the same workout. So what I've been doing is 2 wks of the trekker, 2 wks of the hiker then 2 wks of the sherpa there by peaking every 6 wks. These workouts strengthen the ligaments, tendons, heart alot one thing after another exercise.I don't care how much i can bench prees or squat or none that.
    I mainly get my cardio outdoors and mostly use the gym for strength training. Jacob’s ladder is for short periods of time to keep my heart rate elevated. Today I rotated sets of shoulders, Jake, chest, Jake, legs, Jake, core, Jake, repeat. I hated Jake today.

The Hyperfitness routine sounds cool but I don’t think I can stay focused on such a structured workout. I get bored easily. My typical day off is waking up and thinking..hmmm, what do I feel like doing today? I may buy the book though and try it.

TJ, you can GOOGLE sean Burch Hyperfittness and check it out. I've had several people over the years in the gym asking me what kind of workout am I doing and when I've told them about Hyperfittness a couple of them was able to order the paper back version for 5 bucks. I have been doing some form of exercise since I've been about 12 years old and I wouldn't be able to come up with some of these exercises. Hundreds of different exercises and you'll never get bored because every 2 weeks the routine changes. And no need for a personal trainer this book is your personal trainer. There's also alot of pages of dietary talk and motivational type of stuff. Totally worth the $5.00 There's so much in this book

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    That’s awesome Illabelle! I’ve seen people at the gym doing stair steps with kettlebells and I want to try it. Cardio and strength.
    Go for it Girl!!

Go for it Girl!!
    Even better...I get to visit my grand baby this week so I’ll carry her up and down the stairs for my workout.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 08-05-2020 at 15:32.

Ride your bike up hills as fast as you can sustainably. You should be tuckered out at the top. Next time go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodman View Post
    Ride your bike up hills as fast as you can sustainably. You should be tuckered out at the top. Next time go faster.
    How do you get back down the hills? ?
    Last edited by JNI64; 08-06-2020 at 02:17.

Maxiclimber is a good tool and is low impact.Available on Amazon.I was using mine regularly until I hurt my knee.Time to get back on it........

The past couple of years I have taken up CrossFit classes. These exercises are lower body intensive combined with cardio. I also think that the mental toughness from "surviving" these types of workouts, definitely helps me get up those never ending inclines.

Images

Fortunate to be on a small farm where I can loop about 10 miles together for hikes, with some elevation gain, but nothing comparable to anything AT. I have a day pack I throw free weights in and ruck it around until I can ruck no longer. That helps a bit, but primarily stay in shape on the bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Money View Post
    The past couple of years I have taken up CrossFit classes. These exercises are lower body intensive combined with cardio. I also think that the mental toughness from "surviving" these types of workouts, definitely helps me get up those never ending inclines.
    That crossfit is nuts! Y'all is crazy! In a good way .

trampoline, backpack on sandy beaches, bicycle, walk instead of drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    trampoline, backpack on sandy beaches, bicycle, walk instead of drive
    Ahhhhh Dogwood, " backpacking on sandy beaches " ? Sounds like a great way to train for such terrains as backpacking mts... i know from experience that just simply walking or jogging on the beach is quite the workout and wears ya out quickly. Now trying to keep a good pace with a weighted pack on the beach? That sounds like a workout for sure!
    Last edited by JNI64; 08-14-2020 at 00:40.

Walking now with 30 lbs in the pack - for an hour. I have to start somewhere.
    Before I go it will be 40 lbs and 2 hours.

That's good, what pack?what weight, substance in pack?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++