WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking T-shirt recommendations

I'm looking for a hiking shirt with a few specific qualities.

I'm trying to replace a couple REI Sahara T-shirts. They're what I hike in all the time, and I can't seem to find anything close.
    As several reviewers have mentioned, REI makes the newer Sahara shirts differently. They are thinner, fit differently, and the material has changed:
    https://www.rei.com/product/163975/r...roduct-reviews

Here's what I'm looking for:
    *Roomy and not a true athletic fit. I'd like to be able to fit a base-layer shirt underneath.
    *Thicker material.
    *Synthetic, of course...But not as clingy or spandex-like. The older Saharas kind of felt more like a regular t-shirt.
    *For a quality shirt, I'm not at all worried about cost. I just want to hike in a shirt I'm super comfortable in.
    *Open to any brand.

Thanks. I did search threads and didn't find answers yet...I'm guessing this kind of question had to be asked-and-answered before here on WBlaze.

I won a free T shirt from the GMC (Instagram contest) which is 52% cotton and 48% polyester. It's super soft and comfy due to the cotton content, but still dries quickly and is a good summer hiking shirt. Brand name is Bella-Canvas.

I also have T shirt from my local hiking club, the RMC, which is 100% polyester and is silky in texture by UltraClub. Down side is it doesn't take long to develop a serious hiker funk smell.

Probably the best thing to do is go to a REI or EMS store and see what they got. You might even find something suitable at Walmart for a fraction of the price.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I hike in Under Armor t-shirts. I have a few that look and feel like cotton but wick moisture just as well as the shiny ones. They also aren't form fitting (which I'm sure no one wants to see).

I like my Artic Cool shirts.Material and fit are good to excellent but that's just one opinion.

“Fabrics with darker or more intense colors tended to have better UV absorption. Deep blue shades offered the highest absorption, while yellow shades offered the least. Clothing manufacturers could use information from this study to better design sun-protective clothing, the scientists indicate.Oct 15, 2009”
    I wear two shirts after Labor Day in places like Colorado and Wyoming at altitudes from 9,000’ to 12,000’+ feet.
    The base shirt is a long sleeve navy blue Helly Hansen lightweight wicking synthetic base layer.
    The over shirt is a synthetic long sleeve fishing shirt with a vented cape over the upper torso. I pick light bright colors for visibility. If I need to be found I don’t want to blend with my surroundings.
    This system was arrived at after multiple skin cancer surgeries including a successful malignant melanoma removal.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 07-23-2020 at 11:51.

Been thrilled with SmartWool t-shirts for many years. Comfortable in a wide range of temperatures and varying degrees of physical activities. Hiked in 90 degree temps a couple weeks ago, wicked well and dried fast. Great base layer next to the skin down to freezing and below. Fits most of your desired criteria. Check out their 150 collection on their website. A mix of merino wool and nylon, the more nylon the lower the price.

Ive worn the same plaid collard shirt for about 2000 miles now. I think its made by kuhl. Not positive
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Hanes Cool Dri
    100% polyester, strong and cheap (price). Under $10 and could get them closer to $5 with the sales their always offering. I think their perfect, used them on the whole AT, use them every day at work and even at home during this hot weather. By strong I mean they last good, hard to wear out. I could be totally soaked and I just take it off, wring it out and besides drying real fast it feels nice and cool when you put it back on.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I've been through every backpacking t-shirt known to man---and started out of course 40 years ago with cotton.

Once you find something you really like immediately buy 5 of them.

Standard poly t-shirts are often too hot for summer use. Merino tees don't last long due to wear holes---and they are hot. All I used for a couple years were Icebreaker tees.

My current fave (and I bought 5 of them) are North Face Reaxion t-shirts---very light, very soft and very comfy.

I don't know if they even make these shirts anymore.

Trip 184 (35)-XL.jpg
    Lime green is nice.

Trip 190 (247)-XL.jpg
    Yellow works well.

TRIP 185 (315)-XL.jpg
    Red is nifty.

Trip 193 (24)-XL.jpg
    Blue is nice and fits well over my long sleeve silk baselayer for cool temps.

The poly cotton blends are my favorite summer T. I had purchased one of the Damascus trail day tees to help out the town as they were stuck with a load of them when the event got canceled and it turns out it is a new favorite (note the sizing was decidedly small, probably off by size)

I really like the polyester shirt I got at Walmart, Its Russel brand. I am sure it was under $15.

I recently went to a Columbia Outlet and got another 100% poly shirt, it looks like its knitted as opposed to smooth. Its really breathable, almost like a mesh but not see thru. I hope to find more, although it was slightly more expensive, I think it was $25

++ New Posts ++