WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Gear washed with NIKWAX

I can't get my brain around these instructions: Nikwax - I love the stuff. But this one for waterproofing gear has me seeking validation before executing. Gear should be clean enough before re water proofing. So then fill the washing machine, put in water proofing product,stir in, put in gear, cycle thru by either gentle or just soak and swish with your hands, drain, do not run thru rinse but remove and put into DRYER medium heat for a little while. The DRYER???? Seriously - has anyone put their precious gear into the clothes dryer?

Just to note: This is not for the gear wash, or the down wash or the bring back water resistance product but the one that says re water proofing.

Thanks.

Yeah, we all do it. That's how you "activate", or revive the DWR coating on WPB materials that use them.

To your question....yes, I've put my rain jacket in the dryer before. As OwenM already mentioned, it's how the coating is refreshed; AKA: activated.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

After all my winter trips everything gets thrown in the dryer wet or not on low for however long I feel comfortable. Always waterproof the next time. If it’s an older piece then I re waterproof and dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems counterintuitive, but the dryer is how the DWR water repellant coating is activated and restores the waterproofing on the fabric.

++ New Posts ++