WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock on HST and JMT this September....input pls

Planning to do HST to JMT nobo starting September 6 out of crescent meadows. This time I’m hanging. Debating wether to bring the top bug net, solid winter top cover or nothing. It’s been 5 years since doing the JMT though did TRT few years back with no top cover etc and had no bug issues nor frigid temps roughly the same time of year. Assuming since it’s a low snow year bugs shouldn’t be bad in September......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could get quite chilly- I skied on 18” of fresh near Mammoth the weekend after Labor Day one year.

You will be covered by the quilt so I would bring a mosquito head net just in case. Winter cover or not is more about warmth. Also would negate the need to set up tarp unless it looks like rain/snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen a few areas with mosquitoes after labor day, but those areas are short and far in between. Not something I'd worry about. Nights will be cold, especially at altitude. I'd plan on overnight temperatures of 20F. Been snowed on during 2nd or 3rd week of September before, usually just a few inches that melt off quickly. Also had a few thunderstorms dump hail and rain on me at any time of the month. So prepare for weather but assume you'll seldom if ever have any other than sun. I hiked the JMT from Sept 21st through Oct 6th in 2017. Was a great trip. I cowboyed camp with a tarp for weather as is my normal Sierra Nevada preference.

++ New Posts ++