WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need shuttle from Gorham, NH to Katahdin stream campground on 7/28/20

Looking for transportation for two to start a southbound section hike on 7/28/20. Hoping to leave my car at a hostel near Gorham NH (maybe rattle river hostel) and get a ride up to Katahdin to begin.

Well good luck. Rattle River will shuttle to Millinocket for $460. Maybe. Hard to say if they will be willing to spend 5 hours in a confined space with two people from Boston who haven't done the mandatory 14 day quarantine. (which Maine also currently requires).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Might be easier to end the section before the NH state line. You can get a Covid-19 test and if negative sub that for the quarantine in Maine. https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restar...nehealthy/faqs If you read that over, you'll see that currently NH, VT, NY, NJ, & CT are now exempt. Looking at MA data, they have also had a drop in cases so by the time you leave MA might be on the exempt list but probably a good bet to have the test to reassure your driver.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well good luck. Rattle River will shuttle to Millinocket for $460. Maybe. Hard to say if they will be willing to spend 5 hours in a confined space with two people from Boston who haven't done the mandatory 14 day quarantine. (which Maine also currently requires).
    Looks like NH’s quarantine requirements have been updated for NE residents:

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/out-state-visitors

Not sure how they define “extended period of time” or if self quarantine in ones home state prior to an extended visit is fine — or exactly how a proper quarantine is defined (i.e. whether or not trips for essentials outside your home are permitted)
    Last edited by rickb; 07-14-2020 at 07:36.

Considering the number of out of state plates I see in the trailhead parking lots, no one is taking the quarantine seriously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JeffPaten View Post
    Looking for transportation for two to start a southbound section hike on 7/28/20. Hoping to leave my car at a hostel near Gorham NH (maybe rattle river hostel) and get a ride up to Katahdin to begin.
    COVID-19 restrictions aside, it really is "no easy way to get there from here." Your best bet would most likely be Rattle River Hostel for a shuttle, or maybe there are some private shuttles willing to go that distance. Round trip is close to a full day of driving for the driver.

You might have more luck if you park at Shaw's (Monson) and get a shuttle to Baxter State Park. Then, leap-frog your car on down the trail as you go. In a normal year, there are many who utilize that option, so it might work out to be a cheaper shuttle.

After you fulfill whatever quarantine/test options that might be required at the time, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Looks like NH’s quarantine requirements have been updated for NE residents:

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/out-state-visitors

Not sure how they define “extended period of time” or if self quarantine in ones home state prior to an extended visit is fine — or exactly how a proper quarantine is defined (i.e. whether or not trips for essentials outside your home are permitted)
    Thanks for spotting that Rick and posting the link. I will see if I can find an answer for NH self-quarantine. I thought I saw something about being able to go out for essential services for NH somewhere but I don't have a source for that at the moment. I did see where ME defines that in their FAQ (pg 12) and their definition is the person has to stay at home for the whole period.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Thanks for spotting that Rick and posting the link. I will see if I can find an answer for NH self-quarantine. I thought I saw something about being able to go out for essential services for NH somewhere but I don't have a source for that at the moment. I did see where ME defines that in their FAQ (pg 12) and their definition is the person has to stay at home for the whole period.
    I found it at https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/sit...ce-lodging.pdf

Guest check in may commence on Friday, June 5th, 2020. Operators should require a copy of a driver’s license or a signed document from the guest(s) attesting that all the person(s)staying at the lodging facility who are not residents of a New England state have remained at a home for at least 14 days before arriving in New Hampshire, only going out for essential items and when outside of the home maintaining social distancing and wearing face masks when within less than 6 feet of another person during this 14 day “quarantine”. Non-New England guests should be made aware at the time of the reservation of the need for this requirement and signature.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Leap frogging a car in Maine is not easy. "ya can't get there from here" is the operative phrase. You'd still need a shuttle, an iffy all day hitching adventure or walk back the way you came. Or have two cars. In any event, you'd loose a whole day doing that.

I have a feeling the price of a shuttle shut down the OP's plans right there. Of course, everyone should just stay home anyway.

Journal Entries

Consider renting a car for at least the bulk of your shuttle needs, then local shuttles from each end.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Perfect.

That might explain why folks from NH are now seeing so many out-of-state plates at their trailheads.

Good to know that extended stays are now approved by the state of NH, just so long as those visitors have been self-quarantined in their own homes before the arrive (my personal reality).

Maine doesn’t allow for that, at least with respect to people from MA.

Not sure if I am ready, but it is good to have the option. i miss my weekly hike up Monadnock (not AT, but still NH).

The car rental options are poor. The only rental operation in Berlin Gorham is Enterprise. I am unsure if they are even in business post Covid.

Seeing the OP is sort of local, the best option would be to bribe a friend to drive them up to Baxter, then have the friend come and pick them back up in Gorham. When I used to live in Lowell, I think it took us about 6 hours to drive to Baxter.

Journal Entries

Car rental on a quick kayak search Conway, NH to Bangor, ME came up at just under $200 for a 2 day (1 night) rental.

Add in shuttle or but to Conway and a shuttle of bus from Bangor to BSP on top of the rental plus chew up some time.

Really, the best option is to get a friend to drive.

++ New Posts ++