WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Vermont Trail

Default Vermont Trail

I am a very green newbie. I am just now prepping, planning for a 2021 hike along the Vermont trail for the last 2 weeks of September 2021. I am wondering, where would be the best start/end points to get the best glimpse of foliage (fingers crossed)? Also, would I be better off to work my way North or South? I want to take things at a leisurely pace. My objective is to thoroughly enjoy the view as opposed to racking up miles. Any suggestions or helpful hints will be appreciated. Thank you!

There is a AT Parking Lot in North Adams with some services nearby. You could hike from there along the AT Section 1 North to the Vermont border where the Long Trail begins. Better get the WB guide for services, very detailed. Where are you coming from, maybe I can assist. PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Learnin2live View Post
    I am a very green newbie. I am just now prepping, planning for a 2021 hike along the Vermont trail for the last 2 weeks of September 2021. I am wondering, where would be the best start/end points to get the best glimpse of foliage (fingers crossed)? Also, would I be better off to work my way North or South? I want to take things at a leisurely pace. My objective is to thoroughly enjoy the view as opposed to racking up miles. Any suggestions or helpful hints will be appreciated. Thank you!
    In to say, !! And being new to the site i don't know if you're aware but in the forums section scroll down to hiking other trails and there's the long trail forums probably alot information there good luck happy trails. Sorry just realized that's were you posted.lack of zzzzzzzs!!
    Last edited by JNI64; 07-11-2020 at 08:57.

The Long Trail, as it's known in Vermont is a tough trail. It has no mercy. The AT section (southern end) is easier then the northern end by a significant amount. The northern end has camping restrictions (designated sites only) which can complicate a "leisurely" pace. The southern end which travels through the National Forest allows "dispersed camping", however due to the terrain using designated sites is still the best option except in an emergency. It's not practical to just camp anywhere.

Late September is generally good hiking weather, warmish days and cold nights. In a 2 week period, you will get 3-4 days of rain mixed in and it will be a cold, cut to the bone kind of rain. There is always the chance of the remnants of a hurricane or tropical storm dumping a couple inches of rain in a 24 hour period. It's also possible for a front to stall and you'll get a week of rain.

The last few years fall colors haven't really gotten started until October. You'll see some color towards the end of September, but it will be spotty and muted. The exact timing varies year to year due to weather conditions. A week can make a big difference.

One last thing to consider is it gets dark really early towards the end of September. On Sept 13th sunset is 7 PM. On Sept 23d it's 6:41 PM. And it gets earlier the farther north you go. At the Canadian boarder, the sunsets at 6:34 on Sept 23d. Overcast sky and being under tree cover can make it look like dusk much earlier. It can get really dark in the Vermont woods, even with the trail mostly on the ridge line.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Sounds like the Southern end is a way better starting place as a newbie & I definitely want to take a leisurely, enjoy the view kind of pace. My dates are somewhat flexible, but I really don't want to cut into potential snow dates. Sounds like maybe last week of September-1st week of October would work better.

The South is definitely easier (although not easy). That should be a good time for foliage. The view points are spread out and short-lived though... it's mostly forest. It would be a nice hike then IMO, but just be aware that you are not walking along ridge lines with vast views, etc.

++ New Posts ++