WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Any use it try the terraultra g260 by inov8?

Looking again for an alternative to altra timps. Don’t care for the updated 2.0 and in general a $150 shoe that last me under 200 miles isn’t cost effective at almost $1 per mile! I’ve read positive reviews at other sites just curious if any here have first hand knowledge with the terraultra by innov8. They seem to be out of stock in size 13 everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looking again for an alternative to altra timps. Don’t care for the updated 2.0 and in general a $150 shoe that last me under 200 miles isn’t cost effective at almost $1 per mile! I’ve read positive reviews at other sites just curious if any here have first hand knowledge with the terraultra by innov8. They seem to be out of stock in size 13 everywhere.

Excuse the typos...haven’t had my coffee....

Leonidas

I tried the RocLite 275, I wasn't a fan. Put 50 miles on them and they are now living in a box in my basement. They are the Graphene soled ones and while the grip was really nice, they were uncomfortable on a 30 mile day. I ended up pre-ordering a pair of the Olympus 4.0 to see if the grip is comparable to the Kings but with the extra cushion to push 30-50 mpd.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Disregard...this model being changed. New one due out in week or so. Hoping for a more durable “Altra”........

Leonidas

My Altra Olympus 4.0s showed up yesterday... They are a thing of beauty, unfortunately, no trips planned until November.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    My Altra Olympus 4.0s showed up yesterday... They are a thing of beauty, unfortunately, no trips planned until November.
    Have heard the temp 2 are narrower in toe box...that’s reason I loved the 1 and 1.5’s, if Altra will warranty them I’ll try out the Olympus...that’s a lot of cushion! If not I’m try inov8....

Leonidas

Have heard the temp 2 are narrower in toe box...that’s reason I loved the 1 and 1.5’s, if Altra will warranty them I’ll try out the Olympus...that’s a lot of cushion! If not I’m try inov8....

What I heard at Mountain Crossings is that they actually switched to a higher volume insole on the Timp 2. That is why it feels narrower. One of the guys there got a size 15 stuck on his foot because of that. Its only 4mm more than the Timp, they don't have the 36mm stack on the Olympus anymore.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

What I heard at Mountain Crossings is that they actually switched to a higher volume insole on the Timp 2. That is why it feels narrower. One of the guys there got a size 15 stuck on his foot because of that. Its only 4mm more than the Timp, they don't have the 36mm stack on the Olympus anymore.
    Had this issue on the new model lone peaks few years back, had to use the low volume super feet carbon to make work ended up switching to original timp. New Olympus look good except for the hideous red ones that Rei carries! They always pick the worst color available!

That $170 price is hard to swallow knowing they will die fast but If Altra does warranty my temp 1.5 I will definitely try to pay difference and try Olympus 4. How is the toe box volume?

Leonidas

That $170 price is hard to swallow knowing they will die fast but If Altra does warranty my temp 1.5 I will definitely try to pay difference and try Olympus 4. How is the toe box volume?

Internal volume feels the same as my original Timps. The shape is very slightly different of the overall box, a little less rounded it seems on the big toe side. I wear a 12 in most Altra models and the Olympus 12 might be 1/4" longer internally. I haven't put on my normal hiking sock combo in them to be sure that it rings true.
    I picked mine up for $160, still expensive and I hope they last 500 miles. The only part that concerns me is on the sole where the Vibram rubber is not at. There is some soft foam exposed similar to parts of the Timp sole that I think will wear fast.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Internal volume feels the same as my original Timps. The shape is very slightly different of the overall box, a little less rounded it seems on the big toe side. I wear a 12 in most Altra models and the Olympus 12 might be 1/4" longer internally. I haven't put on my normal hiking sock combo in them to be sure that it rings true.
    I picked mine up for $160, still expensive and I hope they last 500 miles. The only part that concerns me is on the sole where the Vibram rubber is not at. There is some soft foam exposed similar to parts of the Timp sole that I think will wear fast.
    Great. Altra is giving me warranty for temps so I’ll going to pay the $40 up charge and try the O 4 when available on the site

After using the Olympus 4 on the wind river high route I’m very please with comfort but they took a beating...the 80 mile route is mostly off trail on rock and boulders so the mesh is beat up but honestly in this terrain it’s
    not surprising.

Rocklite 325 by Inov8. My 3rd pair. Wore Altras but seem to have short life (I hike a lot). Wicked griping sole on the Inov8s. And I don’t like any Gortex shoe, water gets inside & stays till you remove the shoe & bail out the water. I found my current Inov8s while searching online, got a great price.

Oh, and def go up 1.5 times in size.
    .com

Quote Originally Posted by rustmd View Post
    Rocklite 325 by Inov8. My 3rd pair. Wore Altras but seem to have short life (I hike a lot). Wicked griping sole on the Inov8s. And I don’t like any Gortex shoe, water gets inside & stays till you remove the shoe & bail out the water. I found my current Inov8s while searching online, got a great price.

Oh, and def go up 1.5 times in size.
    .com
    My grip w Altras also.... mine are shot with just 130 miles of CT and 30 miles on art loeb. Actually just submitted warranty...will see...

I have worn plenty of Inov-8's they are a nice shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by kristianultra View Post
    I have worn plenty of Inov-8's they are a nice shoe.
    Being across the pond they seem much more popular. Hence where they are designed. Unfortunately I’ve never been anywhere that stocks them. I have hard time without trying on first.

Happy to report Altra has stepped up their warranty policy.

"Stepped up" Good one.

Leonidas

Good to hear!
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Leonidas

I put 50 miles on mine in Segment 1 of the MST a couple of weekends ago. I was pretty impressed with the traction/grip and mine came out looking like new minus some staining from mud. Day 1 was 50% of the day wet from rain or creek crossings. About to put 300 more on them on the BMT in a month or so. They dry a little slower it seemed than other Altra models I have had before.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

++ New Posts ++