WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronics

Default Electronics

Can we talk about electronics on the trail?

I'm sure I'll be seen as an old curmudgeon, and maybe I am, by my God, I can't believe the level of electronics that are on the Trail these days. Is this really acceptable? Today I saw a vlog with someone who had a GPS transmitter strapped to the top of his pack constantly transmitting his coordinates to his family, then, when he stopped for lunch, he pressed a button to let them know he'd be stationary for awhile. When he started up again, he'd press it again to let them know he was walking again.

And this is supposed to be an adventure??

I've been reading "Painted Blazes" by Loner 2012. He writes (pg 59) about Earl Shaffer's notes from his first thru-hike:

"...Long before today's technology of GoPros and YouTube, smartphones and Trail Journals, hikers documented their adventures with paper and pencil, 35 mm cameras (without a screen to preview pics) and film that might not be developed for 6 months to even see if the pictures came out!"

That last part described my hike, which was perfectly adequate. We didn't have cell phones to call ahead for rides. We managed. If someone today came into a shelter with a GoPro, I'd ask them to leave and leave the rest of us alone and unfilmed.

Very sadly, Loner '12, almost 40 years old, does not know what he missed.

I can't see how electronics embellishes anyone's hike. It seems a poor substitute for a wilderness experience. Worse, all these videos seem the same. People are hiking along, holding their camera out to film them, yammering on about nothing interesting except their friends Pappy and Josie and Yosemite Sam, and wasn't that last spring really something. Only three miles to the next shelter, if their feet hold out.

Aren't there those who resent electronics out there, who truly want to get away from the world? Do they not have a say. Loner '12 seemed very shy, but even he was guilty.

I hiked in 1996, and was good friends with Download & Nexmo. Download kept a kind of text journal that he uploaded at trail towns, about the first of its kind, but it was never intrusive on the trail and no hiker ever knew he was he was doing it unless they asked about his name:

http://users.fred.net/kathy//at/oldkushman.html

Why is the outdoor experience being compromised so easily?

David/Bronco
    (NJ->MA '94; GA->MA '96)

Images

in to say---"hike your own hike".....

and did Loner pass away?

"hike your own hike" is invalidated if those around you are filming and phoning and who knows what with their electronics apparatus. Isn't it supposed to be somewhat of a wilderness experience, or just recess during lunchtime away from home?

Why would you think Loner '12 passed away? He was only in his late '30s when he hiked....

Curmudgeon huh had to look it up. Pronounced cur- mudg- eon, a bad -tempered person, especially an old one . I personally am on the fence on this one. On one hand I can see where electronics can be beneficial on trail as in navigation or recording a trip for the future. But on the other hand like all other electronics it's out of control. Ones wilderness experience should be ones wilderness experience ,(as long as there not recording others without their permission of course). Aka hike your own hike.

JN: You don't get it. You cannot have a "wilderness experience" when people are filming and recording all around you.

I can't believe this topic hasn't come up on this forum already. I can't believe the ATC hasn't made some kind of regulations about this already. Do people want to have a wilderness experience or not? If they do, how can phones and video recorders be any part of that? What's next -- catering at shelters? helicoptered in, or packed in by horse or mule? massage tables at the shelters for those who can afford them?

what's the difference?

You want a regulation? That’s ridiculous.

People are on the trail for all kinds of reasons, they can have whatever “wilderness experience” they want, so long as it doesn’t impinge on yours. Hike faster to get some distance between you, or slower.

You sound like you’d make a great priest...the sort of person most people hike to get away from.

Like I said I'm kinda on the fence with this. You say you cannot have a " wilderness experience " when people are filming around you, well everyone knows the AT is a social trail for the most part lots of people lots of vlogging, blogging, YouTube ing . So we know this going out on the AT. And what you can't believe the ATC hasn't made regulations for what? Filming and recording really we do live in America. if someone wants a true "wilderness experience " they don't go to the AT.

Hank - filming and recording around shelters DOES infringe on others wilderness experience.

According to you, others can play the bongo drums and set off fireworks and if I don't like it I'm supposed to just pick up and leave the shelter and hike a little bit faster.

Meanwhile you don't give the slightest bit of consideration to what is being lost, only to what impacts your trail party and selfish needs while you're out there. Anyone else be damned.

Yeah, I've met a few people like you. Always obnoxious.

Oh my a bit curmudgeon indeed, you started off with " can we talk electronics " ? Well let's talk not insult.

JN: Yes, sadly, you're right. The AT is no longer a wilderness experience. It's an safe, e-logged, Internet experience, vlogged every step, every mile, let mommy and daddy know where you are every foot of the way, don't dare do anything novel or unexpected, just do the same hike as all the hundred vids you watched before, stay at all the same campsites and buy food at all the same stores and don't deviate in any way whatsoever. Then you will make it in the 4 months, 3 weeks and 4 days you planned. What fun. Play video games on your days off at the hostels, and play them some more when you're done and off the trail. Yippee.

JN: I don't respect people who think a wilderness experience involves electronics.

In fact, I feel very sorry for them, and for what they are screwing up for others.

As an intergenerational person who's lived in a world without copious electronics, and in a world with them, I am entitled to make such a judgement.

Yep now you get it.............. in the words of Metallica" sad but true "!! And with that good night folks. Bronco96# pleasure piece my friend

Metallica???? No wonder you don't get the trail experience.

You're so closed minded!! I'm now gonna self moderate before I get kicked off. Piece,anyway you can get it, because I'm not closed minded or like you.

JN, it's spelled "Peace," not "Piece."

(Yes, spelling counts. This is the real world.)
    Last edited by bronco96#; 07-02-2020 at 01:37.

Whatever spelling doesn't mean crabs, yes I said crabs. You don't live in the real world. Now go away troll.

Spelling counts in the real world, and those who can't spell don't look very smart.
    Last edited by bronco96#; 07-02-2020 at 02:19.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bronco96# View Post
    Why would you think Loner '12 passed away? He was only in his late '30s when he hiked....

because of this line---
    "Very sadly, Loner '12, almost 40 years old, does not know what he missed."

Images

Curmudgeon huh had to look it up. Pronounced cur- mudg- eon, a bad -tempered person, especially an old one .

the job i just left----we had a designated office called the "curmudgeon office"...

two of the most bitter people in the newsroom were put into this office and then it got the name........

and yeah, they weren't exactly pleased by it....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++