WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronics

Images

I can't believe this topic hasn't come up on this forum already.

it has...

many times........

probably about once a year or so.....

but, since you are only 10 posts into this board-----guessing you didnt bother to check out the forums to see about
    said issue.......

and at the end of the day it always comes back to "hike your own hike"............

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    because of this line---
    "Very sadly, Loner '12, almost 40 years old, does not know what he missed."
    Exactly what I was thinking .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bronco96# View Post
    JN: Yes, sadly, you're right. The AT is no longer a wilderness experience. It's an safe, e-logged, Internet experience, vlogged every step, every mile, let mommy and daddy know where you are every foot of the way, don't dare do anything novel or unexpected, just do the same hike as all the hundred vids you watched before, stay at all the same campsites and buy food at all the same stores and don't deviate in any way whatsoever. Then you will make it in the 4 months, 3 weeks and 4 days you planned. What fun. Play video games on your days off at the hostels, and play them some more when you're done and off the trail. Yippee.

did someone force you to hike the AT or did you not realize there was other long distance trails in the states?

Images

Metallica???? No wonder you don't get the trail experience.

what does someone's music preferences have to do with hiking?

oh, never mind, just answered it myself------absolutely f-ing nothing.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking .

when someone writes---"very sadly" followed by "does not know what he missed"---typically means
    something happened to the person they are mentioning.....

Images

Spelling counts in the real world, and those who can't spell don't look very smart. Just the opposite.

it kinda sounds like you are just bitter at the world in general....

maybe you should take a hike......

might help you out a bit........

just sayin'....

TN - Oh. No. I meant that I don't think Loner '12 knew what his hike could have been like if he'd hiked without electronics, and if he'd been in an electronics-free environment.

TN - I'm far from bitter.

In fact, I'm seeing things more clearly than ever.

I'm seeing what's important. Wilderness is important. Silence is important. Solitude is important.

And today's hikers get none of it. They treat the trail like it's Disneyland.

Why??

the job i just left----we had a designated office called the "curmudgeon office"...

two of the most bitter people in the newsroom were put into this office and then it got the name........

and yeah, they weren't exactly pleased by it....
    Lol... sooo.. funny...

Images

And today's hikers get none of it. They treat the trail like it's Disneyland.

Why??

because they chose to hike their own hike.....

If a hiker is filming and recording they are inevitably intruding on other hikers, at shelters, crossings, hostels, etc.

What right do they have to do that?

And don't try to tell me that nothing is lost when thru-hikers are recording every meter of the trail and broadcasting it to YouTube.

Is that the hike you want, safe and simple, all pre-recorded for your safety? Is that what you think the AT experience should be about?

because they chose to hike their own hike.....
    Kinda like Disneyland in a way only happens once in a lifetime. So why not document it?

If a hiker is filming and recording they are inevitably intruding on other hikers, at shelters, crossings, hostels, etc.

again you have the right to tell them not to film you

And don't try to tell me that nothing is lost when thru-hikers are recording every meter of the trail and broadcasting it to YouTube.

Is that the hike you want, safe and simple, all pre-recorded for your safety? Is that what you think the AT experience should be about?
    They want? You want? ......

JN, that really says it all - you think Disneyland is a worthwhile experience.

That's as stark as it gets.

Images

if it's in a public spot, which generally the AT is since it's considered Park land-----there's no law that i know of that can stop them...

a private place like a hostel-----that's a different story since it's private land...

i just got outta working in the tv news business as a news photographer and i knew that if i was in an area
    that is considered public, then there was nothing that anyone could do, besides politely asking me, to stop it...

and depending upon what the story was, who was asking, and other circumstances----that would determine my course of action....

oh, and i shot video that would air on a newscast....

for example----if a house is on fire, and i showed up on scene----if i stayed on street, nobody could stop me....

if i wanted to get closer and go on the house's yard----if the homeowner was around, i would ask them if it was alright for me
    to get on the land and shoot video....

or, if i wanted to get in neighbors yard and they were outside watching fire, i would politely ask them if it was alright for me
    to go on their land.....

most people never cared....

as far as law enforcement------we fought (in a legal way) many times, and it's usually with officers that have just joined the force and are new, over this
    issue many times...........some officers would try to take our tape from our cameras......and at that point, i would say they need a
    search warrant, or have them bring their supervisor over to discuss it....

or make a quick call to my boss who would call the agency's PIO and tell them what was going on...

it often did not end well for the officer that would try to take tape.....

that being said-----i couldn't randomly go into a building---other than public buildings (like a court house or city hall) and start shooting video...

if we needed to go into a target, a walmart or the mall for example for a story----we would call the management and ask for permission...

target was usually the easiest as they knew that any publicity was good publicity.....

a mall was generally easy to get into as well.........just depended upon their management....

federal buildings were a different story though---could never take a camera in and they were strict about where we could set up...

if if was a sidewalk out front----they couldnt stop us.....but once we got off the sidewalk and onto courthouse property (steps for example)---
    that was off limits.........

and the rent a security person would throw a fit at us about it...

and keep in mind----all but maybe the last 5 years of my 20+plus years doing this----i was lugging a full sized
    professional camera.....

so it was very obvious what i was doing...

unlike the last few years when people can go in to those places (not fed buildings though) and use
    their phones to record video....

it's kinda the same way with access....

as in, law enforcement couldn't excluded the media and make specifically us, shoot from a particular spot...

wherever the general public was allowed to go-----that's where i expected to be allowed to go...

for example-----let's say there's a shooting on a street and i show up to cover it...

and while the scene might have tape (ya know---the yeller crime scene tape) around it----
    i knew that i could shot anywhere outside of that tape....

now lets say an officer comes up to me and says i have to stand in on particular spot (outside of tape) and
    that was the only place i could be yet members of the general public were walking all around (outside of tape)---
    then i would fully expect to be allowed to go where they were going.....

same thing as above-----if an officer said no----i would ask for a supervisor to be brought over and ask
    why i was not allowed to be where the general public was....

again----most times, since i was in the right and the supervisor knew it, the officer that said no would get a chat from
    supervisor about this issue and how they couldnt stop the press....

being in the business in one city for so long---there were alot of officers that i knew, maybe just by face only,
    and they knew me and what i was doing, and it wasnt an issue..........

they knew we had a job to do and they would respect it.....

to sum it up-----
    generally public property----could shot wherever i wanted....
    private property, in general----had to ask permission to shot....

this all applies for members of the general public (like hikers) taking video...

hope this helps....

Images

Is that what you think the AT experience should be about?

the AT experience is different for everyone (especially since thousands and thousands of people hike various parts of it every year).....

hence, hike your own hike....

If you think it's all about a law, you don't understand the first think about a backwoods experience.

I think the current generation is so ruined, so corrupted, so unable to imagine a world without their machines, that they can't imagine being offline for even a few minutes.

It's useless. They've ruined the AT. It's time to move elsewhere -- to the PCT and the CDT. Leave the AT to those who need babysitting.

Images

If you think it's all about a law, you don't understand the first think about a backwoods experience.

didn't you say "Yes, spelling counts. This is the real world."?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++