WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2015 Thru Hiker Returning in 2021

Paperclip here. Planning a 2021 thru hike with a March starting date. Started 2015 with the ATKO and hoping to do the same in 2021. Anyone else from the class of 2015 planning a comeback?

Images

I will be there, early to mid April.

Happy trails T-Rx! Hope we cross paths!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCsurf98 View Post
    Happy trails T-Rx! Hope we cross paths!
    Same thing back at you. Hope our paths will cross in the future!

It would be interesting if you notice any changes on the trail since 2015? what about gear?

Journal Entries

Curious if you considered (or have done) other trails such as the PCT? I have thought about another thru hike, but part of the hike itself is the adventure of not knowing where it will be taking me. As such my next thru hike was the Camino de Santiago (Fisterra) in Spain, which incorporated much of the social aspect of the AT, and something I knew I would do after the AT - It's a town day every day, I have considered the PCT as my next one.

I hiked the trail in 2015 and went back to do it again in 2019. The second time was different in so many ways. I took lots of detours to see things off the trail (often up or down hill a good bit) like waterfalls or other peaks. I actually went to the Peaks of Otter rather than looking at them in the distance. I stopped at some favorite places a bit to enjoy the experience more. Both hikes were stupendous, and chock full of memories. It was fun looking at my checkins from 2015 when I went by again four years later at places like High Point or the liquor store in Connecticut that gives you a can of beer. There were even a few log books along the way that had not been replaced in four years.
    A interesting experience occurred to me in Virginia. I have a very good memory of the trail, and would often remember some little detail about to come up. As I was hiking this one section, it seemed totally unfamiliar; I knew I had not skipped any place, but I certainly had not been there before. My guidebook did not show this as a recent reroute, so I wondered if I had lost the trail, but Guthook said I was on it. Later I heard that the trail in that area had in fact been rerouted, and that the guidebook had been incomplete in noting the fact. There were other rerouting sections I particularly enjoyed as I got to see new territory.
    Have fun!
    Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Curious if you considered (or have done) other trails such as the PCT? I have thought about another thru hike, but part of the hike itself is the adventure of not knowing where it will be taking me. As such my next thru hike was the Camino de Santiago (Fisterra) in Spain, which incorporated much of the social aspect of the AT, and something I knew I would do after the AT - It's a town day every day, I have considered the PCT as my next one.
    We did consider the PCT but ultimately decided against it. We are located on the east coast so the AT is more accessible for us. Logistically, we have family along the trail that can help us along the way. I will also be hiking with my wife and really wanted to share the AT experience with her. We are definitely open to a PCT thru hike in the future though!

I will be brand new thru hiker in 2021. Will do flip-flop from Harpers Ferry starting in fourth week of April. Looking forward to see you fellows.

Images

Hey Paperclip! I'm strongly considering it but was looking at an April start.
    This is Custom btw, we met at Rob Bird's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumor View Post
    Hey Paperclip! I'm strongly considering it but was looking at an April start.
    This is Custom btw, we met at Rob Bird's.
    Custom! Hope to see you out there! Definitely at Trail Days!

Images

Keep checking on the 2021 ATKO. Plans are very much up in the air.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

++ New Posts ++