WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking from Bartlett trailhead to Mt. Washington

About 30 years ago, I hiked the Mt. Langdon/Mt. Stanton trails and have always been intrigued about the idea of hiking to Mt. Washington. Since I will not be traveling far this summer (I had nabbed a permit to the Wonderland Trail which I am giving up), I would like to hike the Montalban Range, on either one of those trails, to the Mt. Parker, Trail north to Mt. Washington. I am planning a multi-day backpacking trip. I just ordered a more recent White Mtns. guidebook as the edition I have is outdated. If anyone has hiked up the ridgeline of Mt. Washington, I'd be interested in your feedback/suggestions about water sources, camping, etc. Also, do you prefer Mt. Langdon trail or the Mt. Stanton trail and why? Thanks!

Definitely get some good info, the Davis Path is somewhat infamous for poor water supplies since its on the top of ridge. In some years folks have to drop down to Rocky Branch to tank up.

I wouldn't recommend it until the fall or if it rains a whole lot soon. I was just up on Resolution/Stairs recently and it was dry, dry, dry, although I didn't try to find the old shelter site. I don't think the campsite at the Davis/Isolation trail junction has reliable water.

I've been toying with the idea of a Mt Crawford/resolution/isolation loop via Davis and Rocky Branch. This is all wilderness area, so the trail gets pretty obscure in place with little or no maintenance.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. The trail guide does indicate it is dry on the Davis Path and the Mt. Parker Trail. Since I'll be backpacking, I planned to drop down for water and/or camping, but hadn't figured out where I'd do that.
    I was planning on going in August. Years ago, the AMC at outdoors.org had a bulletin board where people posted trail conditions. I haven't been able to find it on the AMC website. Does it still exist?

https://trailsnh.com

https://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com

Not a lot of backpacking trail reports mostly day hikes.

There's only two practical places to camp along there. The old Mount Resolution shelter site and at the Davis/isolation trail junction. Leaving the trail for any reason is not a good idea in that area. There should be water at Resolution, but you'd have to sniff it out. You'd probably have to drop down to the Rocky Branch for water on the north end. Resolution is good because there is a short climb to a ledge which would have a prime sunset view.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for those two websites!

Thanks for the info about campsites and water, which comfirms info in the trail guide.

++ New Posts ++