WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rohland Website shutting down

This is sad news to hear. I have used the rohlands website for the entirety of my AT hiking and have spent countless hours scanning through sections of pictures, reminiscing, and dreaming of future endeavors.

Website Shutdown
    We are sad to report that this website will no longer be available after July 11, 2020.
    We have NOT been able to find a replacement editor (or multiple section editors) so we are unable to continue to support this website. We've provided this website for about 17 years as our way to give back to the AT community so in many ways this feels like a death in the family. We'll miss connecting with all of you this way. Happy hiking!

Editor Needed

PLEASE READ
    The Appalachian Trail Parking website is in dire need of an editor. With the death of our website editor, David Cullen, we’re having a huge problem keeping our website afloat. If you’ve been on our website recently, I’m sure you’ve noticed that a lot of our posts are getting really old. We need someone that is familiar with a good bit of the trail and willing to research into areas that are unfamiliar to her/him. We need someone that is willing to validate all submissions to our website: parking, safety and pictures. Of course, we will be assisting you and guiding you through all of the steps we take in the process of editing. We are an all-volunteer website so we are unable to compensate you for your time and knowledge so we need someone that also has a love of the trail and is willing to give back to the AT community.
    Besides us, we have one occasional editor that will also help out. We’d love to have more section editors but with all of our pleas for help, this just hasn’t panned out. If you have any interest in only working on a section of the trail we’d also welcome you with open arms.
    Life has changed here at the AT Parking website. When we first started in this endeavor, we were able to devote the majority of our time to programming and editing. Now with all of the nasties in the world, security has become an almost full-time job for us.
    Over the years, we’ve had a good many offers from commercial websites to take over our website but we’d really not like to do that unless we have no alternative. We view the trail as one of the great free treasures in our country and would like to continue doing our part to support the AT as long as we can.
    Please contact us if you should have any interest in helping out. We really need you!
    Please feel free to pass on this message to anyone who you think might be able to help us.
    The Rohlands
    AT @ rohland.org
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Wow, that's tragic. I just don't have the skills to do it, and we're in the early stages of a move to a different part of of the country, so I don't have the time, either.

Man, that's a really cool resource. Sorry to see it go.
    It is what it is.

Same with I, I dont have the skills but have contributed to it. I am surprised Whiteblaze does not pick it up.

Appalachian Trail Parking Database

From the Rohland Website:
    We've got some really great news for now. 4 wonderful people have stepped forward to edit the AT Parking Website for 3 - 6 months. BUT they need your help. None of them have hiked the entire AT. Here's how YOU can keep this website going:

I just submitted a parking area i know about on rt 9, 2 miles south of hf. Along with a HUGE thank you.

Appalachian Trail Parking Database

And thank you JNI64 we did receive it and are working on it.

If we could just get one submission from each user that accesses our website each year, we really wouldn't be having a problem maintaining the site at all. Please pass the word on.

++ New Posts ++