WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What category would you place your worst experience with a air mattress on the trail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Both my Expeds are older ones like people have had problems with delaminating, so part of me keeps expecting to pop a baffle, but they just keep ticking, in spite of me being pretty rough with them-no room to spare in a small 1p shelter, so they get knelt and sat on a lot.
    My newer Exped, the Synmat Hyperlite I bought in 2015, popped a baffle on an overnighter last night. I emailed Exped with a pic, and received a response saying they'd replace it just 9 minutes later.
    They replaced an original style Schnozzel bag for me before, and my friend and his wife's Winterlites that failed, all with newer versions that have been problem free, since.
    They obviously had a rough spell on the engineering or manufacturing side of things awhile back, but Exped's customer service is as good as it gets.

Thermarest self inflaters are the best and most reliable ive ever owned im my 40 years on the trails. In those years I have owned 3 and still have them.

I had an issue with one Thermarest short UL I purchased used that had separated a week after buying it, but the company replaced it free of charge, no questions asked... that was 10 years ago. Ill stick to Thermarests because the company's customer service was so good.

I wanted to buy a newer insulated air mat, but Im a bit leery about how flimsy they look n feel.

Images

Not sure why, total luck, but literally a thousand or two nights on inflatables and never had a total blowout. I've had a couple of slow leaks requiring topping off in the middle of the night, annoying, but never total failure. I've owned almost all thermarest's of various models (plus now an Exped double), they kept getting lighter ya know, still have all the old ones, use them car-camping with the grandkids. We must have a dozen inflatables sitting around between my wife and I.

So yeah, bottom line, totally worth the risk, since I think the risk is very low assuming you clear you site properly.

That all being said, when it's critical, like in winter, I have a light closed cell under the inflatable, more R, less chance of a puncture too.

A popped baffle on an REI Flash pad is the only problem I’ve had.

I was on a canoe camping trip last month and woke at midnite with my Exped synmat 7 flat with a blown seam. I glued it up and it seemed to hold air, but an hour later it was flat from a different spot. Spent the rest of the nite sleeping on my life jacket. They were quick to send me a new one, but I guess I'll always carry something for a backup now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++