WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Well, there ya go, good information. So, 70% (140 proof) alcohol weight at 7 calories/gram, 1 gram of barrel proof Whiskey = 4.9 calories, better than carbs! Quick search, yep, there are tons of brands of cask-strength Whisky's around to buy in the US. Most concentrated I see is at 65%, close enough. thanks for the info!
    Another way is to concentrate your spirit with Everclear. You will need to decide the flavor characteristic.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I personally don't consider tuna packs to be food, but others do and I would not object to them being mentioned.

However I did say that the use of ethanol would be questionable. And I know it's not without it's issues, and those issues express themselves differently in different people. But consider this, many when they start a long distance hike find it difficult to get down enough calories. They are just not used to having that much food, and many feel uncomfortable due to this. For those, if they can, a 200 to 300 calorie night cap may be a good and relaxing method to get calories in when other foods may seem repulsive (due to feeling one is eating way too much). For many it is easy to get down and can help settle the stomach.
    Another nightcap option is to take a few tablespoons of honey---at 64 calories per tablespoon. Beer has 7 calories per tbsp, whiskey has 35 calories and wine has 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    A local legend,General Robert Lee Scott,walked the entire Wall of China in 94 days at the age of 72 and mostly ate fruit cake type cookies he had made.Yeah,I know,everybody is tired of fruit cake but it's calorie dense and goes well with alcohol.
    Every year for many years, my mother would send me a "Fruitcake Confection" from Harry & David at Christmas time. Definitely NOT your grandmother's fruitcake -- this stuff is awesome! If I could keep myself from eating the whole thing, I froze it and then when hiking a month or so later, cut it up for hiking snacks.... Pure atomic power!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Peanut butter is 5.9 calories per gram. Peanuts are a tad less dense at 5.8 calories per gram, but have several advantages: the packaging is lighter, the package shrinks as the product is eaten, and there's no oil leakage.

Or my mother-in-law's fruitcake, about the same density as depleted uranium.

Macadamia nuts. #1 in fat and calories among the nut family. A decent amount of potassium. Don’t stress on calories alone. Electrolytes count too.
    Don’t wait until you get to the grocery store to do your nutrition studies. Virtually everything edible is detailed on the Internet.
    I will add Knorr Sides to the non-foods list. I am very happy with selected freeze dried meals. I’ll bear the cost for the weight, variety and taste.
    Wayne

pepparoni is my must have for winter backpacking. lots of calories from fat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    "Fruitcake Confection" from Harry & David... Pure atomic power!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Or my mother-in-law's fruitcake, about the same density as depleted uranium.
    Since we're on to critical mass, fusion of ingredients, shelf--er half-life, and high-yield food weaponry, there's the old school nuclear option of pemmican that can deliver into the 7 to 8 cal per gram range.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 06-29-2020 at 11:08.

I've only had one version of pemmican, and that was a hundred years ago. Do you have a recipe or a good brand recommendation?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

I've only had one version of pemmican, and that was a hundred years ago. Do you have a recipe or a good brand recommendation?
    Nope, I don't. Like you, I've only eaten it once. Didn't make a memorable impression from a food I want to eat standpoint. I carry eat what tastes good and provides variety. Just throwing it out there as an option. There are a bunch of recipes online. Might be some manufactured stuff out there, but as it's not a high demand consumer item . . . This is what I find https://www.google.com/search?q=pemm...w=1904&bih=920

EDIT: Higher calorie stuff I eat on trail - tuna in olive oil (empty cans aren't any heavier than empty pouches), trail mix/gorp, summer sausage, peanut butter, etc. Easy to find at stores, variety, cost, etc, all play into it. But I'm not going for weeks without resupply nor am I into the shedding pack weight to the point of not enjoying my food, etc., just to save a pound or two.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 06-29-2020 at 11:30.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Some EPIC meat bars are pretty close - the Bison Bacon bar is mostly bison, bacon & cranberries. Tasty, but not cheap.

I have seen some of those Epic bars in the local stores...I'll probably give one a try. I'm trying to put a little more variety into my mid-day break -- it's been mostly jerky & pepperoni (along with some type of cheese and dehydrated fruit.) I can't bring myself to eat tuna. Spam can be good, though.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Anyone got an opinion on Green Belly Bars?I'm taking a package for an overnighter this weekend just to see if they are edible or not......(note,too expensive to rip into at home so I will carry a backup meal of noodles

There is no best. You will tire of too much of anything.

For one of many things to bring I suggest dried roasted yams with butter powder and salt to taste: 2000 calories per pound.

For 30 grams you should get about 135 calories: 24 grams dried yams @ 4 calories/gram + 6 grams Hoosier Hill Farm butter powder @ 7.5 calories/gram. We roasted yams, mashed, dehydrated, then food processor to make into dust. On the trail mix the yam powder with butter powder and cover with hot water. Depending on how finely it's ground rehydration time varies from a few minutes to 20.

One snack I do like at this time of year -- when I tend to want more salt -- is pork rinds. A little 2oz bag can deliver over 300 tasty calories!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by jimqpublic View Post
    There is no best. You will tire of too much of anything.

For one of many things to bring I suggest dried roasted yams with butter powder and salt to taste: 2000 calories per pound.

For 30 grams you should get about 135 calories: 24 grams dried yams @ 4 calories/gram + 6 grams Hoosier Hill Farm butter powder @ 7.5 calories/gram. We roasted yams, mashed, dehydrated, then food processor to make into dust. On the trail mix the yam powder with butter powder and cover with hot water. Depending on how finely it's ground rehydration time varies from a few minutes to 20.
    Is a yam and a sweet potato the same thing?

I like the ones sold as "Garnet Yams" with an orangish interior. I don't know if there's a nutritional difference but those taste sweet and go great with butter.

Snickers candy bars 280 calories @ 2ozs.

According to Google" yams look kind of like tree bark, while sweet potatoes are more reddish-brown. Real yams are entirely different root vegetable more like yucca in texture. Some sweet potatoes are orange, white and purple."

One snack I do like at this time of year -- when I tend to want more salt -- is pork rinds. A little 2oz bag can deliver over 300 tasty calories!
    So a snack a day of pork-rind and snickers could give an extra 580 calories @ 4 ozs. Winner, winner calories per oz? And that's 2,320 calories per 1lb , if you crunch down the pork-rind and the snickers wouldn't take up much space .
    Last edited by JNI64; 06-30-2020 at 01:28.

Pork Rinds and Snickers -- the Breakfast of Champions!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++