WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fastest Man in Georgia

So yesterday morning I was gathering the energy to start up Kelly Knob when this guy literally comes sprinting down SOBO. I said, "Hey man, you got a bear chasing you, because that's the only thing that makes any sense." He told me he was trying to set a new record from the Carolina border to Springer Mountain. Within ten minutes, two other guys went jogging by. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows if they made it, and if so, what their time was?

Hey there! That guy was ME! Thanks for posting and checking on the outcome of the adventure. Since you were curious, I will gladly fill you in on the details;

I did make it to Springer, although not within the record time I was shooting for. the 82+ Miles and 20k of elevation gained took me 29hrs of steady moving time to finish. On my way up Blood from Neels Gap, I started suffering insane legs cramps, from my hips to my toes, anytime my feet didnt land flat. I fought through the cramps till Woody, but after that, things got even worse. My left knee (which had been busted open at mile 10) decided it no longer wanted to bend, so my times got even slower. Once I realized I was out of contention for the record, I started taking more 10min rest breaks when I saw a good rock or downed tree to sit on.

My moving time ended up being 22.5 hours, so that side of it was only an hour behind the record pace. I have been training since, and planning, and fully intend on going for it again within the next 2 months. Even if I don't get the record, the experience of moving across most of Georgia through some of the most beautiful mountains is something I have to do again....

Quote Originally Posted by iRunTheGeorgiaAT View Post
    Hey there! That guy was ME! Thanks for posting and checking on the outcome of the adventure. Since you were curious, I will gladly fill you in on the details;

I did make it to Springer, although not within the record time I was shooting for. the 82+ Miles and 20k of elevation gained took me 29hrs of steady moving time to finish. On my way up Blood from Neels Gap, I started suffering insane legs cramps, from my hips to my toes, anytime my feet didnt land flat. I fought through the cramps till Woody, but after that, things got even worse. My left knee (which had been busted open at mile 10) decided it no longer wanted to bend, so my times got even slower. Once I realized I was out of contention for the record, I started taking more 10min rest breaks when I saw a good rock or downed tree to sit on.

My moving time ended up being 22.5 hours, so that side of it was only an hour behind the record pace. I have been training since, and planning, and fully intend on going for it again within the next 2 months. Even if I don't get the record, the experience of moving across most of Georgia through some of the most beautiful mountains is something I have to do again....
    Glad you responded! That is a badass accomplishment, record or not, congratulations.

I immediately had a few questions..How did you get to the NC border given that it’s a bit from a road coming from either direction, or did you start from Deep Gap? What all do you carry and how? Welcome to WhiteBlaze btw.
    Last edited by Slugg; 08-06-2020 at 19:06.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    625/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Ounces are the little-death

Quote Originally Posted by iRunTheGeorgiaAT View Post
    My moving time ended up being 22.5 hours, so that side of it was only an hour behind the record pace.
    That's a rosy way of looking at it.

EDIT: Never mind
    Last edited by Slugg; 08-06-2020 at 19:05.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    625/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Hey, I'm glad you found this post, recognized yourself and took the time to respond. I realize there's different levels of fitness, but what you and those other two guys were doing was totally insane to me. In a good way, like I wish I had that kind of energy and fitness. I'm sorry you didn't reach your goal, but what you did was still ridiculous. And most importantly, it really seemed like you were enjoying yourself out there when I saw you. Maybe because you were on the downhill run at that point... Anyway, thanks for the response and let us know if you give it another shot sometime.

Images

Unless something changed, 82+ miles probably put him starting at Deep Gap NC instead of the NC/GA line
    nous dιfions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I did the last 85 miles of the AT on my record run in 22.5 ish hours. I don't claim any record, but just sayin'. Deep Gap was where I started

Carl Laniak's 21:30 still seems to be the time to beat: https://fastestknowntime.com/route/g...chian-trail-ga

Speedgoat Ya lookin at the white blazes again?

always looking a the white blazes. :-) But not thinking of looking at all of them, unless it's a standard thru hike or section hike like normal people. haha...

++ New Posts ++