WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Honest opinion

Images

Default Honest opinion

I'm considering hiking the Colorado Trail, but I'm horrible shape, i wasn't a small guy before all the covid-19 lockdowns and i bet i gained 25-30 pounds from mid march till now.... Would you wait and do it next year or give it a go this year ?? i have until aug 4th to be back.... and leave tomorrow if need to.. i have all my gear from the AT.

I don't think that is a place to go if your not in very good shape. The thin air alone is enough to give you trouble. In order to make it between resupplies in a reasonable amount of time, you have to do fairly big miles (~20) every day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

not what i was hoping to hear but i appreciate your honesty lol

I gotta agree with Slo. However, there are reasonable alternatives. I took a first-time hiker on the Superior Hiking Trail. We had a blast. Certainly not as remote, rugged or "breathtaking" (pun intended) as the AT or CT. But, given the info you've provided, this trail might be the 'get-going' opportunity you're looking for.
    https://superiorhiking.org
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't think that is a place to go if your not in very good shape. The thin air alone is enough to give you trouble. In order to make it between resupplies in a reasonable amount of time, you have to do fairly big miles (~20) every day.
    OP, always take comments with a grain of salt. Below I will list my mileage for a 2 year section hike of the CT. Year 1 I did about 232.1 miles and 2 years later did about 252.6. If you do the math you will see that I averaged just a bit over 15.5 miles a day. Note that I had 2 zero days but the 15.6 doesn't include them.

1. 13.5
    2. 15.75
    3. 15.35
    4. 20.7
    5 14.7
    6. 15
    7. 9.3
    8. 17.8
    9. 11.9
    10. 13
    11. 9.2
    12. 17
    13. 18
    14. 15
    15. 16.6
    16. 9.3
    So about 232 miles which is about 14.5 MPD for first section
    1. 17.9
    2. 20
    3. 21
    4. 20.4
    5. 23.1
    6. 7.9
    7. 0
    8. 15.6
    9. 17
    10. 20.5
    11. 15
    12. 0
    13. 14.8
    14. 13.8
    15. 15.7
    16. 15.9
    17. 14
    So 252.6 which is about 16.8 MPD

So, I'm not telling you whether you should attempt it or not, but don't be dissuaded by some commenter that this trail can't be done unless you can average 20 MPD.

Of note in section 2 days 2-5 I pulled longer mileage only because I was trying to catch someone I had mentored the year before when I did the Denver to Breck just as a routine trip. Had he not gotten a couple day head start on me I probably would have pulled in the 15-17 miles range.
    Last edited by lonehiker; 06-14-2020 at 00:31.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Yeah, i still haven't decided, i have 40+ days, im considering just trying to do half as the goal this this summer, and take a slow slow pace... take a few 0's and just relax.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    I gotta agree with Slo. However, there are reasonable alternatives. I took a first-time hiker on the Superior Hiking Trail. We had a blast. Certainly not as remote, rugged or "breathtaking" (pun intended) as the AT or CT. But, given the info you've provided, this trail might be the 'get-going' opportunity you're looking for.
    https://superiorhiking.org

Thanks i will look into it.

Hiking is far more enjoyable when better prepared, regardless of daily mileage.

Well, averaging nearly 16 miles a day isn't all that much different then 20 mile days. And of course, actual mileage depends on locations of suitable campsites and water sources. Some days are longer, some are shorter. It also depends on how much food your willing to carry. Although someone with 25-30 pounds to loose maybe able to starve themselves a little. But you got to be careful. If you start to run out of food, there is no easy way to get more. It's not like the AT where you cross a road to a town every day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by silverscuba22 View Post
    Yeah, i still haven't decided, i have 40+ days, im considering just trying to do half as the goal this this summer, and take a slow slow pace... take a few 0's and just relax.
    Get some basic logistical info and just get walking. A shorter and easier option could be a good warmup, then could do some of the Colorado trail after

You're overweight and I'm overage as you can see in the side panel. I leave for the CT to thru-hike it in 10 days. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes. By the way, it's tough to get in shape for the altitude and elevation gains when you live in Florida.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    You're overweight and I'm overage as you can see in the side panel. I leave for the CT to thru-hike it in 10 days. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes. By the way, it's tough to get in shape for the altitude and elevation gains when you live in Florida.
    ldsailor,
    Personally planning to do a CT SoBo thru hike in 2021 or 2022, also starting last week of June.
    Wish you well on your hike and look forward to hearing how it goes!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Thoreau put it best, "Simplify, simplify, simplify". If you want to hike a short or long distance, pick a trail, get there, put on a pack, and place one foot in front of the other. When you get tired, slow your pace a little and take frequent rests (or call them photo opportunities). Under this simple process a few things can happen:

- You will lose weight and build muscle with each day of effort- You will complain about the temporary discomfort exercise will bring
    - Your speed and endurance will start to improve after only a few days
    - It will rain
    - You will hate some days on the trail, but during each evening they become fond memories
    - When August rolls around you may not have completed the AT, but you will have taken a serious bite out of it
    - Most importantly you will have risen to a challenge with determination, proving to yourself you can to do more than you think

Good luck!

Images

Couple of thoughts (I'm currently hiking the CT, but home for a few days for some family business):

First, from all that I've heard there is no correlation between fitness level and altitude tolerance. In fact, in practice, there might be a reverse correlation because the less fit folk will move slower to the higher altitude portions of the trail (starting after Breckenridge, mile 105-ish). I know a guy who might be the fittest person I know who has suffered from HAPE a couple of times, simply because he ascends his mountains too quickly.

The CT is arguably easier physically than a huge fraction of the AT (I've hiked the entire AT) simply because of the more gradual trail grades. Most western trails are like this, basically lots of switchbacks etc. These trails were designed for horses, basically.

Most of the CT has quite frequent access to town stops, not as frequent as the AT, but plenty frequent. As you get further along (going SOBO), it does indeed get more remote, but still plenty of resupply options.

I'm sure you're aware of the Triple Crown of hiking, the AT, PCT and CDT. There's also the three "Jewels" of hiking (or "Gems"), like Jewels from the Crowns... The CT has been called one of these Jewels, a mini-CDT if you will. (the other two Jewels: the Long trail is a mini AT, and the JMT is a mini PCT)

This is a very low snow year and the trail is essentially hikable now, though sections 7-8 still have a lot of snow on the high passes, but in a couple/few weeks, these should be cleared off.

There are a couple Covid related inconveniences, of course, like the Monarch Crest store is not accepting resupply boxes this year, but the Monarch crest resort is, for example. I think there are lots of details on the CT foundation web site.

Holler with any questions, I'm very familiar with the entire trail.

Images

You're overweight and I'm overage as you can see in the side panel. I leave for the CT to thru-hike it in 10 days....
    Well, 70 is not really "overage" in these parts. I swear sometimes I think that at 64, I'm still a median age hiker in Colorado. Seriously.

Anyway, good luck! I'm "on the CT" right now, though home for a few days before heading back up (currently 6 days along at mile 105, Breckenridge). So far the trail is in excellent shape. There is some annoying blowdown in section 5, about 3 miles into the section. Someone put up some blue tape to follow, it did help. Easy to lose the trail here though, thankfully Guthook works to get you back to it if you do lose it. I don't see this blowdown being cleaned up anytime soon, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Well, 70 is not really "overage" in these parts. I swear sometimes I think that at 64, I'm still a median age hiker in Colorado. Seriously.

Anyway, good luck! I'm "on the CT" right now, though home for a few days before heading back up (currently 6 days along at mile 105, Breckenridge). So far the trail is in excellent shape. There is some annoying blowdown in section 5, about 3 miles into the section. Someone put up some blue tape to follow, it did help. Easy to lose the trail here though, thankfully Guthook works to get you back to it if you do lose it. I don't see this blowdown being cleaned up anytime soon, alas.
    If you do Facebook and are not a member of the CT group, you should join. Hikers are posting reports on snow and blow downs. There is a good article on the blow downs (actually it's avalanche debris) on the CTF web site here. Looks like a lot of fun crossing that.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Do it. Start slow, go light. Give yourself bail out options if things go south.

Images

If you do Facebook and are not a member of the CT group, you should join. Hikers are posting reports on snow and blow downs. There is a good article on the blow downs (actually it's avalanche debris) on the CTF web site here. Looks like a lot of fun crossing that.
    Funny, I just QUIT that page, too much mis-information flying around, fear mongering, etc. Please take all the nonsense on ther with a big grain of salt, especially the snow-phobia posts. Yeah, section 24 might be a pain, but easy alternative.

No thanks on FB hiking groups!

Edit: I do want to say, there is one voice on that FB page, Bill Manning, the guy who works the CTF. He's conservative, but reasonable. I listen to him, or I did before I left the FB group.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 06-15-2020 at 12:07.

++ New Posts ++