WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Big Agnes hub question

I just got a Big Agnes tent with a hub connector for the poles. I’ve never had a tent with a hub before. When I take down the poles to pack or store, what’s the best way to take care of the hub? Do I leave the center pole attached, or undo all of the poles and let it float unattached to any of the poles, other than by the shockcord? The closest thing I’ve ever had was a Sierra Designs tent with an angle on the poles. I would leave one end attached, and put them in the pole sack. I never had any problem with the angle pole, but I was always pretty careful with it, and will be careful in handling the hub. How do you take down your poles with a hub?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would think you would want to minimize the amount of strech in the shock cord while the tent is in storage. Therefore, it would make sense that at least one pole stay engaged in the hub.

My Fly Creek and Copper Spur both pack easier when I take all the poles out of the hubs. When I have a pole still in the hub I'm worried that I'll torque the hub and either bend the pole, or break the hub.
    Trail name Catnapper

Thank you both for your answers. It’s a Fly Creek. I appreciate the advice and your experience.

Pringles

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    My Fly Creek and Copper Spur both pack easier when I take all the poles out of the hubs. When I have a pole still in the hub I'm worried that I'll torque the hub and either bend the pole, or break the hub.
    Same here. (I have a Copper Spur.)

I have a Copper Spur and do the same. Well over 200 nights in it and I just see one of the stretchy ropes getting thinner, expecting it to break anytime. I imagine It will still work when it does, just be a pain. I'm thinking about that new Copper Spur though cause it is pretty shot all together.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Thank you for the information. I will store it unattached.

Pringles

++ New Posts ++