WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Retrofitting a pack - who might do this?

Hey Folks - I have an old Lowe Alpine rucksack that is one large open compartment with a lid. I love the pack and it carries very well for me. It was a gift from my wife about 20 years ago but the pack is still going strong. Now that I'm retired I'm able to go out on shorter overnights where a larger pack would be overkill. If the Lowe pack could be retrofitted with water bottle holders on the side and even a mesh sleeve on the front, it would be a very serviceable overnight pack. My problem is I don't know of any company that does this type of work.

So, if you have any suggestions, as well as contact information, I'd be interested in hearing it. Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Nice. I have a TNF alpine pack too. I offered it up many years ago but no takers. Then I realized, it's actually a darn good pack, and kept it!

Same issues though - water bottles. I bought some Aqua Clips and found that they fit well into the shoulder harness adjustment buckle ... without making the bottle go horizontal. I just added a larks-headed loop of shock cord to keep the lower half of the bottle stable, and then I could add a 1L soda bottle to each front shoulder strap. You could go half-liter too.

Similarly, I'd just get a mesh bag to strap / tie / clip on to the pack. I wouldn't bother getting anything sewn on, not worth putting holes in the pack bag. This could be a mesh bag from swimming, from oranges/onions, from REI, etc. Doesn't matter.

If you still want a pro to try their hand at it, consider asking Rainy Pass repair (rainypass.com) if this is the kind of thing they'd do for a fee. Good luck!

Which model is said Lowe pack?
    I own several Lowe and did some repairs and it's pretty easy sewing, given you find a good and strong enough thread.
    Last edited by Leo L.; 06-09-2020 at 05:58.

Aquaclips CLICK THIS

For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Several vendors offer mesh or other types of bottle holders that you can easily add to the shoulder straps. I prefer those over using side pockets. My side pockets are for other things, water filter, fuel bottle or something. Plus, I'm "of advanced age" and reaching a water bottle out of the pack side, is a reach for me.

Gossamer Gear is one vendor with several options for you

CLICK THIS
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

You might take a look at ZPacks add-on side pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks folks! There are some good ideas for me to look into so I appreciate all the suggestions.

That's it for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

++ New Posts ++