WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BMT northern terminus

I just finished the BMT yesterday and was looking forward to my "victory" photo in front of the terminus sign when I crossed the bridge over Big Creek, but there was no such sign (at least not that I could find). ***, BMT??? I guess I could have taken my picture in front of the dozen or so people swimming in the river, but it doesn't have the same feel as a "BMT Northern Terminus" sign would have. I'm mostly just joking around about the sign, but finishing at the campground was kind of anticlimactic. If I were to do it again, I think I would start in the Smokies and finish on Springer. Although that climb up Mt. Sterling to start would certainly suck. Anyways, I loved the trail and would recommend it to anyone who wants an AT feel without all of the people. Just give me a sign at the end lol.
    -tagg

Congrats on finishing the Benton Mackaye! I have about 130 miles of the northern half left myself.

That does suck that there’s nothing noting it as the northern terminus, maybe reach out to the trail association on Facebook or email? You’d think there would at least be something subtle, like the northern terminus of the Pinhoti.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

It's definitely an odd finish. Almost hard to be sure you're actually at the end. Congratulations on getting it done!

Congratulations! I love the BMT.

There was a BMT sign at Big Creek at one time. I’ll go through my 6,000 photos and try to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It's definitely an odd finish. Almost hard to be sure you're actually at the end. Congratulations on getting it done!
    I had the same feeling.
    More walking, less talking.

I couldn’t find the pic but I have a good memory for certain things and clearly remember the first BMT sign that I ever saw was on the back side of the big parking lot at Big Creek. Maybe hike it SOBO next time, lots of fanfare and nostalgia-inducing moments when you finish on Springer Mtn.

Images

I did the BMT section through the Smokies several years ago (before they started charging to camp overnight). You're right, it's odd that the trail just ends at Big Creek Campground. On the other hand, it's one of the few long distance trails where you can have a vehicle waiting for you at the terminus.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

You're right, it's odd that the trail just ends at Big Creek Campground.

well...............technically it ends right at the big creek trailhead..............right as the trail hits the asphalt..........

and i dont understand how that it is odd that it ends there-------it's listed in the guidebook and maps as it ending there.....

It's just odd visually. My recollection from the last time I was there is that you follow blazes up to the road and suddenly can't find the next one. Other than that (and a guidebook if you have one handy) it's just an abrupt disappearance.

It's just odd visually. My recollection from the last time I was there is that you follow blazes up to the road and suddenly can't find the next one. Other than that (and a guidebook if you have one handy) it's just an abrupt disappearance.
    Yup. For the last 70 miles or so, there aren't any blazes on the trail - just the little green BMT signs with arrows on sign posts at some trail junctions. When you come off of the bridge over Big Creek, the guidebook clearly states you're at the trailhead, but those same trail markers with the arrows continue up out of the parking lot by the trailhead and all the way down the mile or so long gravel road that leads out of the campground. We were parked in the hikers overflow lot 0.7 from the trailhead, but saw a couple of the markers on the way to our car and then another beyond the parking lot before we turned off of the gravel onto Waterville Road (or whatever it is called). I knew I had finished, but it was still odd to see the same trail markers heading down the road out of the campground having never actually seen a terminus sign.
    -tagg

The northern terminus of the BMT used to be the intersection with the AT at Davenport Gap. After leaving Big Creek there was a road walk to the AT intersection. Because the road walk was boring the BMTA decided to end/begin the trail at Big Creek.
    More walking, less talking.

Where can you leave a car at Big Creek? Is it safe? How much further to the Ranger station?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by EMAN View Post
    Where can you leave a car at Big Creek? Is it safe? How much further to the Ranger station?

one can park at the big creek picnic area and at the ranger station as well...

both are relatively safe------any place can get hit, these two really don't have too much of a history of vandalism........

davenport gap and the area down near the bridge do though......

ranger station and big creek picnic area are give or take a mile apart from each other..........

A while back (this could be 8-10 years?) I got my car broken into at the ranger station, but the two involved were caught not long after.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

A while back (this could be 8-10 years?) I got my car broken into at the ranger station, but the two involved were caught not long after.
    Every parking lot in GSMNP has some level of break-ins over the years.

But only a few have had recurring "issues".
    The only places with "issues" I've read about over the years around GSMNP are:
    "Maddron Bald"
    {I heard a local chop shop was to blame and once they were caught, this hasn't been an issue}
    "AT at Davenport Gap"
    "AT near I-40"

Images

"Maddron Bald"
    {I heard a local chop shop was to blame and once they were caught, this hasn't been an issue}

the guy who was breaking into the cars at maddron lived on the road going into the trailhead and just would
    watch everyone come in, and then do his work....

he was put in prison many years ago-----not sure his status now.......

he could be still in------or he could be out....

++ New Posts ++