Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Showers/lodging near Davenport Gap

    Anyone know of any good lodging/camping sites with showers near davenport gap. Doing the AT through the smokies (Fontana to Davenport) and was hoping to be able to shower, etc. before heading back home. I heard the hostel a couple miles up trail from there isn't great - looking for other options. Thanks

  2. #2
    GoldenBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    Upper Darby, PA
    Posts
    778
    Journal Entries
    58
    Images
    335

    Lightbulb That hostel's name is

    Quote Originally Posted by rboles View Post
    was hoping to be able to shower, etc. before heading back home. I heard the hostel a couple miles up trail from there isn't great - looking for other options
    The hostel is the Standing Bear Farm. If all you need is a shower, it's perfectly adequate.
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...t=#post2251339
    I can't speak to the facilities for lodging or laundry, but their showers were able to get trail dirt off my body.

    Sorry about the dead links in my post from last year -- here's one that actually works:
    https://standingbearfarmhostel.com/

  3. #3

    Default

    Standing Bear is all you got, take it or leave it. That they exist at all is a blessing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,541
    Images
    3

    Default

    going a couple of miles west of the big creek exit, there are some rafting outfitters there...

    they might have some showers and/or a camping area....

    not sure though..

  5. #5
    GoldenBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    Upper Darby, PA
    Posts
    778
    Journal Entries
    58
    Images
    335

    Lightbulb Campgrounds west of the AT

    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    going a couple of miles west of the big creek exit...they might have some showers and/or a camping area
    Trail west, walking northwest along I-40 towards Hartford, you'll come across Fox Fire Riverside Camp. This place charges $5 for "Day Camping," which MIGHT mean use of the showers.
    https://foxfireriversidecamp.com/reservations/
    Pigeon River Campground
    https://campinginthesmokymountains.com/camping/
    is also there, but you'll have to call for info.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,541
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Trail west, walking northwest along I-40 towards Hartford, you'll come across Fox Fire Riverside Camp. This place charges $5 for "Day Camping," which MIGHT mean use of the showers.
    https://foxfireriversidecamp.com/reservations/
    Pigeon River Campground
    https://campinginthesmokymountains.com/camping/
    is also there, but you'll have to call for info.



    yeah....

    fox fire is in the area i was thinking....

    and then looking at map----came across this place....

    https://smokymtnskycamp.com/



    right up the road from davenport gap.......website says 0.75 mile from the gap....

    never heard of it before seeing it on the google map..

  7. #7
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-10-2007
    Location
    Morganton, North Carolina
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,525
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    242

    Default

    The nearest towns with hotels are Newport TN and Waynesville/Clyde NC.

    There are number of campgrounds around Cosby.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer
    Falls Lake Trail: 2011

  8. #8

    Default

    Pilot Travel Center shower.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,541
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Pilot Travel Center shower.



    where is there a pilot travel center in that area?

    the campgrounds around the rafting outfitters are alot closer...............

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-08-2012
    Location
    Taghkanic, New York, United States
    Posts
    3,097
    Journal Entries
    11

    Default

    When I worked there I recall several places (perhaps 2) that advertised showers near the entrance road to Cosby campground, googled here from Gatlingburg: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gatl...118158!1m0!3e0

    As far as Standing Bear, it's a great stay for thru hikers, perhaps a bit rough for short sections but the shower is OK. Also there have been reported car break in's at Davenport, better to park at the nearby ranger station, end at Cosby campground or Standing Bear then leave a car there.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    where is there a pilot travel center in that area?

    the campgrounds around the rafting outfitters are alot closer...............
    ...but may not allow a non-customer to shower.

    The closest Pilot Travel Center is Dandridge, not far, and I believe it’s on the OP’s way home. Just an alternative suggestion if all else fails.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,541
    Images
    3

    Default

    ...but may not allow a non-customer to shower.


    money talks.....

    and those campgrounds down there surely know that hikers coming from the Park along with their rafting customers
    are going to look for a shower after their trip...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,541
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    When I worked there I recall several places (perhaps 2) that advertised showers near the entrance road to Cosby campground, googled here from Gatlingburg: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gatl...118158!1m0!3e0

    As far as Standing Bear, it's a great stay for thru hikers, perhaps a bit rough for short sections but the shower is OK. Also there have been reported car break in's at Davenport, better to park at the nearby ranger station, end at Cosby campground or Standing Bear then leave a car there.



    yeah....

    the private campground right outside of cosby allows (or at least used to) for people to come in and pay to get a shower...

    and i agree about not parking at davenport gap.....

    but dont park at cosby campground for this trip-----park at big creek campground or the ranger station........

    cosby is on the other side of the mountain....

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,541
    Images
    3

    Default

    The closest Pilot Travel Center is Dandridge, not far, and I believe it’s on the OP’s way home.



    yeah.....that's the closet going west...

    guess it will all depend upon how quick OP wants a shower after trip------if one wants to get a shower within a few minutes, then head to the campgrounds (or that other place i put a link) to get one.................

    if one wants to wait 45 minutes or so------head to the pilot....

    to use the shower at pilot is 12 bucks..................i would tend to take a guess that the campgrounds would charge 5-10 but dont quote me on that...

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •