WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Northern PA in the Rain

Opinions on this for a ordinary section hiker with plenty of experience, but not necessarily super fit.

I know rocks can be slippery. So how is it to hiking northern PA in the rain?

Are we talking suicide? Or is it a matter of just be kind of careful?

I personally wouldn't do the climb up from Lehigh Gap in the rain, but everything else is fair game. Just pay attention to where you're placing your feet. Trekking poles are a good idea. PA is very rocky, but mostly in just an annoying way, not a treacherous way!
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Quote Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
    I personally wouldn't do the climb up from Lehigh Gap in the rain, but everything else is fair game. Just pay attention to where you're placing your feet. Trekking poles are a good idea. PA is very rocky, but mostly in just an annoying way, not a treacherous way!
    I would agree, and for Lehigh Gap there is an alternate route if necessary for bad weather.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Shouldn't really be a problem. I've done several of those sections in rain of one type or another. The only thing to avoid is a serious lightning storm in the open areas (like Lehigh Gap), but otherwise you'll be fine.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

Thanks for the replies. FWIW: I asked this question because last year I found myself hiking DOWN into LeHigh Gap (N to S) in the rain. I've done 1000+ miles on the AT, and that was by far the scariest thing I've done so far. At least it wasn't ice.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Thanks for the replies. FWIW: I asked this question because last year I found myself hiking DOWN into LeHigh Gap (N to S) in the rain. I've done 1000+ miles on the AT, and that was by far the scariest thing I've done so far. At least it wasn't ice.
    Wait until you get to New Hampshire and Maine.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Going to be some short days, especially if it's raining.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Yeah, the descent off Moosilauke, Wildcat, Old Speck down to the to the pond, and, and, and . . .

I didn't find the rocks all that slippery - hiked PA twice in the spring when it rained a lot. The main issue is a lot the rocks are set at an angle to the ground and are just a pain to walk on. The knife edge was a bit scary in the rain, but just had to go slow and test grip before putting weight on it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I didn't find the rocks all that slippery - hiked PA twice in the spring when it rained a lot. The main issue is a lot the rocks are set at an angle to the ground and are just a pain to walk on. The knife edge was a bit scary in the rain, but just had to go slow and test grip before putting weight on it.
    Thankfully, we've already done Knife's edge and won't be doing it this time. As the comments on Guthook go, Knife's edge is a pleasure to do in dry weather, but death defying when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Thankfully, we've already done Knife's edge and won't be doing it this time. As the comments on Guthook go, Knife's edge is a pleasure to do in dry weather, but death defying when wet.
    Let's just say it was "interesting".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++