WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Water Filter Considerations

I've read many of the water filter threads in these forums. I thought I’d take one along on the AT this year, so I investigated those mentioned most frequently. For those of you who have specific experiences with these, I'd appreciate your comments... Positive and negative.

I've noted those of you who don't filter, or only use chemicals, so I'd appreciate replies from only those who have had experiences with these, or similar to these...

1. MSR Mini Works: Retail $80. Ceramic and carbon filter. Weighs 16 oz. Filters to .2 microns (.3 absolute pore size). Can be maintained in the field. Cartridge capacity is between 100 and 528 gallons (depending on which web site is viewed). Retail replacement cartridge is $38. Pump force is 10.4. Filter screws directly to Nalgene-type bottles.

2. Katadyn Hiker Pro: Retail $70. Glass fiber/carbon core filter. Weighs 11 oz. Filters to .2 or .3 microns (depending on which web site is viewed). Can be maintained in the field. Cartridge capacity is 200 gallons. Retail replacement cartridge is $35. Pump force is unknown. ("easy to pump")

3. Katadyn Pocket Filter: Retail $200 +. Silver impregnated ceramic filter. Weighs 19 oz. Filters to .2 microns. Can be maintained in the field. Cartridge capacity is 13,000 gallons. (Whoa!) Retail replacement cartridge is $140. Pump force is 16.5. Lifetime warranty.

Based on the published stats, it looks like the Pocket Filter is the best value, but the most work and higher weight. It appears that even at 500 gallons, the Mini Works filter replacement cost to match the Pocket's output is $988. At 200 gallons the Hiker Pro filter replacement costs would be $2,275 to match the Pocket. (Dang!)

Thank you for your comments regarding these filters, or about other specific filters you are familiar with.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

I use a cheap prefilter on my Katadyn Hiker and can go several hundred miles between filter changes. also wrap the source intake end in a paper coffee filter and you extend the life even longer.

Images

I QUIT CARRYING ONE NEO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    I QUIT CARRYING ONE NEO
    I use this instead neo

http://giardiaclub.com/aqua-mira.html

Katadyn Guide - I used it twice now for two people with no problem healthwise. I don't have the weight at my finger tips. We have a Dramary we fill when setting up each night as well as fill our Nalgene bottles. The compatability between these products is something not to be overlooked. I saw some scouts out there this past weekend using other products. I was concerned they were compromising the water inlet and outlet ports. Filter replacement was around $40 for 750 gallons I believe. Watching maps for water sources makes the trade off for the weight a no brainer. I could pump a gallon a minute easy. jnf

I smell like New Jersey... SGTdirtman's Avatar
    Images

I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro. Ireally like it, Its pretty compact and easy to use. Its been on 4 trips with me and filled plenty of water bottles with no problems. It is easy to pump and fills a quart canteen pretty quick. No matter where I filtered water from it always tasted very clean using this filter. Its also easy to take apart and clean and pretty rugged, I dropped it a ton of times
    crew chiefs can fix anything with pro seal and 100mph tape...

Images

I have purchased a Katadyn Mini Microfilter for use on my thru attempt. I decided on this one after going to two different outfitters to try out all the different manufacturers models that seemed to fit my needs (solo hiker, plenty of time to stop and filter water). This model seemed to offer the most water capacity I need for a thru without buying a replacement cartridge (except in total falure due to a crack etc.).

"Ceramic capacity depends on water quality. The dirtier the water the more often you will have to clean the element. This reduces the capacity of approx. 2'000 gallons (7'000 liters). If the gap of the measuring guage.....etc..." taken from the users manual. Use a bandanna or coffee filter on the intake end for a pre-filter will extend it's life. It's ease of use, user cleaning long life filter element made this my choice to carry. About 8oz with the small bag it comes with, it is one of the lighter filters available.

Hope this helps you out

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...berId=12500226
    "For, after all, time is not money; time is an opportunity to live before you die." Donald C. Peattie

http://www.trailjournals.com/trooperssite/

I'd rate the Katadyn the best filter. Relatively economical, does not clog easily and pumps a quart in just a couple minutes. I've used this filter for quite awhile and I'm impressed by how long I can go between filter replacements.

I recently started using Klear Water. It's basically the same as Aqua Mira but it is pre-mixed, so you don't have the 5 min wait for the two chemicals to interact. While the water does not taste as good as filtered water, it sure beats using Iodine.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

McPick,

I thought your question was clear, yet only one of the seven posts above speaks directly to the models you are considering. I don't have personal experience with any of those models either, however I do have a comment about your analysis.

If it took you 5 months to walk the trail (150 days) and even if you filtered 2 gallons per day, you would still be within the capacity of the MiniWorks' original ceramic filter (300 gals). Therefore the total cost of water filtration for your thru-hike would be $80.

I'm not sure your cost comparison is significant, unless you really need 13,000 gallons of water.
    Last edited by Roland; 03-16-2006 at 20:14. Reason: Clarity
    Roland

Default Katadyn Hiker

Most thru-hikers that filter prefer the Katadyn Hiker. Why? Because it pumps a lot faster than others. And, with the one year guarantee on cartridges, you can exchange a plugged cartridge at any outfitter along the trail, no questions asked.

Don't get too hung up on pore size, and the rest of the hype.

McPick--
    I used the Hiker filter back in 2001. Got lazy about prefiltering and it gradually got clogged up and difficult to pump. So difficult that I actually broke it one day, about 2 1/2 months into the trip. Fortunately one of my hiking mates was leaving the Trail that afternoon for a couple days, he went to REI and got it replaced for free, no questions asked, and dropped it off to me a couple days later. Replacement continues to work fine for me, easy to pump, quick to fill, connects directly to both my Nalgene and Dromlite bag. And I'm more diligent now about prefiltering! I'd probably buy it again if I had to.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Roland, My evaluation of the cost of replacing filters, to match the Pocket output, was simply a matter of understanding the values for long-term use. (I certainly intend to hike beyond the AT!) However, I agree with your analysis, and probably won't make the more expensive initial investment for the Pocket. That said, the principal does remind me of wool shirts I've purchased over the years... The less expensive (cheaper) ones are long gone. But some of my Pendletons have lasted 20 years or more!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Quote Originally Posted by McPick
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Roland, My evaluation of the cost of replacing filters, to match the Pocket output, was simply a matter of understanding the values for long-term use. (I certainly intend to hike beyond the AT!) However, I agree with your analysis, and probably won't make the more expensive initial investment for the Pocket. That said, the principal does remind me of wool shirts I've purchased over the years... The less expensive (cheaper) ones are long gone. But some of my Pendletons have lasted 20 years or more!

There is also a factor of how easy a given filter is to live with. The Katadyn Pocket Filter is a bit of a PITA. First it is quite heavy. Second, it is slow to pump, more than twice as slow as most other models. And the pump force required is significant. All of this adds up to a filter that you are not going to like using. Eventually you will begin to avoid using it, and then you'll send it home. All of a sudden it becomes a piece of very expensive, but unused gear. A lighter, easier to use filter WILL get used.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Default I agree -- the Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    Most thru-hikers that filter prefer the Katadyn Hiker. Why? Because it pumps a lot faster than others. And, with the one year guarantee on cartridges, you can exchange a plugged cartridge at any outfitter along the trail, no questions asked.

I agree.

I have been using the Hiker for several years. I think I am on my third one. The estimates of gallons are only estimates. If you pump from relatively clear water, and take reasonable precautions to avoid pumping silt from the bottom of the stream, the filter will last longer than advertised.

There is no place along the AT where you will be pumping glacial run off. I used my Hiker on the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier. The glacial "milk" in the streams shortened the life of the filter considerably.

When I first started using the Hiker, I carried an extra filter in my backpack because I didn't know what would happen when the filter reached the end of its life. I have stopped carrying the spare. You have plenty of warning before a filter becomes clogged.

Only once have I had a filter completely clog before I could replace it (glacial milk). I took it out of the hiker and washed it in the running stream, then took my knife and scraped some of the crud off of the outside of the filter. I was successful in restoring it to use until I could get another filter.
    Shutterbug

I have been using the bottle filters and have great luck with them. Completing the trail this summer after many years of section hiking and bad nightmare of a season. Have to say that one very bad season did not turn me off in completing my dream. Just one bad season gave me the insight of knowing that solo was the best way to hike for me. One bitter season only made me a stronger hiker and more determined to complete what I set out to do. Now that I am retired I can get an early start and complete my goal. Carry what fits your style and don't worry about what others feel is best for them. Lessons well learned on the AT about life, real friendships and what is inside that some try to take away from you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    I QUIT CARRYING ONE NEO
    for the most part i dont carry one,but when i go to long hunter on percey priest lake i carry my h2o amigo by ula.its great gravity filter neo

http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm

a few of my pics

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...65&userid=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...65&userid=3462

Default Pore size

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    My understanding was that this is quite important. This is not a field I have studied, so most of my knowledge probably comes from manufacturers and retailers. Is this an area in which you have expertise, or have you seen reputable scientific literature that says poor size doesn't matter?

I'm not trying to challenge you on this, I am genuinely curious as I passed on the Amigo due to its pore size.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dougmeredith
    My understanding was that this is quite important. This is not a field I have studied, so most of my knowledge probably comes from manufacturers and retailers. Is this an area in which you have expertise, or have you seen reputable scientific literature that says poor size doesn't matter?

I'm not trying to challenge you on this, I am genuinely curious as I passed on the Amigo due to its pore size.

Doug
    Doug,

Good question. I'm sure that there are places where pore size is important. But, along the AT, I've never heard of any illness or problems attributed to one brand of filter just because it had a larger pore size than others. I'm sure if there was a problem with one filter because of pore size, we would have read about it here on Whiteblaze, and in ATC Journeys.

Now, if I were traveling in a third world country, I would be a lot more concerned about water treatment. Remember that there are some people out there on the AT that don't treat water at all. So, anything or any method that you use has got to offer a level of protection over nothing at all. So, in my humbe opinion, for those hiking the AT, the relevance fo pore size is all marketing hype.

I agree. In fact, there is nothing to associate any water treatment with benefit for section or thru hikers. Water treatment is often an issue for marketers of gear makers, who can only point to studies/certifications based on treatment of standard samples in controlled laboratory conditions.

By whatever water treatment you wish, but avoid buying the hype.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I use my kidneys to filter my water....filters are for mud and scum puddles!!!!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++