WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Big Agnes Manzanares HV SL3 - Feedback

I've been using the REI Half-Dome Plus... but it's going back to REI as soon as the stores re-open.
    1. Water pools on the rain-fly in a storm
    2. Poor workmanship: Inconsistencies in the no-see-um netting, hair-like strands sticking out from seams for the zipper
    3. Final straw: Hole in the no-see-um netting in an out-of-the way place {with less than a dozen nights in the woods... and I've NEVER damaged no-see-um netting on a tent, not even on a Copper Spur}

So I'm looking for a replacement for me and my son when we camp in the summer.
    I purchased the REI Half-Dome Plus because it's a little over-sized compared to typical 2P tents.

The best thing I can currently find that is a combination of roomy, but not too large, inexpensive, but not too heavy is the Big Agnes Manzanares HV SL3
    With dimensions of 90x70/62, it's got tons of space for 2 without being huge.
    With a packed weight of 5.0lbs and cost of $300, it's lighter than the REI Half-Dome Plus without being crazy expensive (compared to $500 for a 3.0lbs Copper Spur UL3).

But I can't find many reviews on the tent.
    The only negative I can find is a complaint about the zippers being easy to jam.
    Otherwise, the few reviews seem to rave about the tent.

I can see where at the full retail price of $400, these didn't fly off the shelves compared to what you can get from the Copper Spur for a bit more.
    But at price point of $300, this 5lbs 3P tent is sounding awsome.

Another negatory of Big Agnes tents---they use flame retardant chemicals in their tent fabrics. Mt Hardwear does not.

I take it from your post that you're looking at a backcountry / backpacking tent, not a frontcountry/car camping one, right?

That sucks, I've had my half dome 2+ out for 1,000 miles of section hiking and out 100+ nights never had issues. Talking 4 season in big winds, monsoons, snow you name it. But mines about 10 years old maybe new manufacturering issues? FWIW I'm replacing soon with big agnes tiger wall. Anyway good luck on your search.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I take it from your post that you're looking at a backcountry / backpacking tent, not a frontcountry/car camping one, right?
    Correct.

I've got a BA Copper Spur UL2 I use as a 1P tent (so I've considered getting my son his own 1P tent, but not spending the $$$ needed to get him a Copper Spur).
    I've got a BA Lynx Pass 2 - It's a nice "over-sized" two person tent. But the walls are mostly solid. Very little netting. As a result, it's too hot of a tent for summer.

I'm dissatisfied with my REI Half Dome 2 Plus, and that's what I'm looking for a replacement.

++ New Posts ++